suggestions for broken Jap 5spd fix or replacement?

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
mrd
God Admin

Re: suggestions for broken Jap 5spd fix or replacement?

Post by mrd »

You're fine as long as you have the later model Jap box with the 4 bolt setup where the stick is mounted on top of the cup that accepts the tail shaft as opposed to being mounted in front of it. That's probably the quickest way to tell if you were looking down at it from within the car with all the boots removed etc. - check out GB_BB4C's gearbox pics above ^^^ (awesome info there, thanks GB_BB4C!).

If you're in my boat with the small 4 bolt plate mounted in front of the cup, I'll go ahead and mod this to fit my stuff. :)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Nah sorry dude... Same as you :(
N/A ALL THE WAY
Gazzav

Post by Gazzav »

Ive got a spare shifter laying around I think ill try remember to look tomorrow to see it its what you need unless your set on modding the short shifter, shame it didn't fit! It looks great!
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

75glnt wrote:Nah sorry dude... Same as you :(
All good man, it wont be that complicated to make a spacer and drill a few holes :) I'm looking forward to saying goodbye to that old crappy one.
Gazzav wrote:Ive got a spare shifter laying around I think ill try remember to look tomorrow to see it its what you need unless your set on modding the short shifter, shame it didn't fit! It looks great!
tbh theres a bolt sheared off in one of the holes in the 3 bolt plate. When I consider the mess I could potentially make trying to extract it neatly, it would be just as easy for me to go with the new shift stick and have an adaptor made up - it would completely eliminate the sheared bolt issue. The thought is appreciated tho mate. :thumpsup:

Being as I assume no-one else has done this - I'll document my progress in here when I get it sorted.
Gazzav

Post by Gazzav »

No worries, I had the thread pull out of all three holes on one of my boxes one day 8 hrs from home haha, was an interesting trip ;)
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

bugger :o :facepalm: :banh: yeah hopefully i'll get mine sorted before something like that happens! :|
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

"Too late!" she cried. bolt 2 sheared off this morning - one bolt wont hold it.
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

Ok so all the local engineers were booked out for weeks, so I went to my local auto shop and got my hands on this handy Nolathane block. :) I then (lacking any slicey cutty power tools) took a full day about hacking a chunk small enough to work with off of it.

And to cut a fairly long and messy story short (I changed my mind on exactly how to tackle it a number of times), I trimmed up the aluminium plate which came with the mookeeh later model jap box shifter (as you can see below, my engineering and drilling skills are second to none - dont worry the front holes are good), and worked the nolathane block to suit as a spacer.

As you can see (pic was taken just before getting spring washers), it's quite a snug fit. It's kinda ugly, but it works really well. Feels very solid and smooth now. Just waiting for a threaded knob to arrive now instead of my old grub screw variety.

So, the punchline is: Now that she has a nice tight box, she needs to get rid of her old grubby knob, and find a knob suitable for screwing on. :lol: :facepalm:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

...how about one of these? Image
:thumpsup:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

So.... Now you've successfully done that... Would you do another? Replicate the spacer, and shave the shifter plate?

I'm happy to pay for you're time and products :)

If so.

Please pm me and we can work out a plan :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

geezer101 wrote:...how about one of these? :thumpsup:
That would look nice! I've ordered one of these: Chrome knobs

I was thinking of getting something like this further down the track as an option.
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

75glnt wrote:So.... Now you've successfully done that... Would you do another? Replicate the spacer, and shave the shifter plate?

I'm happy to pay for you're time and products :)

If so.

Please pm me and we can work out a plan :thumpsup:
Well the thing is :D see how my hole is cut out with a hacksaw? That's because mine was an auto and has been modified to take the manual. idk if yours would need to be a different shape or something. Grab yourself a hacksaw (that's what I used) and a power drill with a bit large enough to fit the bolts easily. I can measure the thickness of the nolathane slab i used for you (I fluked it by sight, but nolathane squishes up a bit and is slightly forgiving like that) and you could make one up yourself if you can find someone who can give you a piece of alloy or something the right height (could even use wood i suppose). Use the removable 4 bolt plate for the existing stick as a template to draw where to drill holes and drill/hacksaw the middle out for the stick to poke through (I found whittling away at it with a sharp pen knife after drilling a few holes with the drill worked well for nolathane). Also, if using nolathane with power tools, try to keep the speed on the tools as low as possible as the stuff melts pretty quickly.

Then remove the new mookeeh shifters alloy plate and cut it up enough so that it will fit in your hole but still have enough left to bolt down, it will probably end up the same shape as your adapter/spacer.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea that could work :)

If you could send me the thickness of the nolathane, that would be great..

It just sounds so much easier, when someone else does it :lol:

I think I'll make an alloy spacer (by make, I mean. Go down to the local engineer and get him to do it :P ). Also, my car was a factory auto. So it's got a nasty hack job also :facepalm:
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

P.S. that shifter knob set me back about $16 with postage included in that price. It's a nicely weighted machined billet single piece unit. The anodising looks like it doesn't like direct daylight too much but it's still has a good overall finish for the price.
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

75glnt wrote:Yea that could work :)

If you could send me the thickness of the nolathane, that would be great..

It just sounds so much easier, when someone else does it :lol:

I think I'll make an alloy spacer (by make, I mean. Go down to the local engineer and get him to do it :P ). Also, my car was a factory auto. So it's got a nasty hack job also :facepalm:
Righto, my nolathane slab is 25mm thick (measured while bolted down to eliminate any buoyancy). You'll probably find that you loose the nice "mookeeh" logo in the trimming :\ but i guess you would never see it again anyway if it was a good shifter. :)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea I don't care how ugly it looks... Cheers mate! :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY