Turbo350 Into GC Galant?

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
junglehicks

Turbo350 Into GC Galant?

Post by junglehicks »

Hey guys I have a gc galant.
4g63 powered. I have a w58 in it at the moment but am looking to go auto. Has anyone used the Bill's auto fab adapter plate to bolt a turbo350 into a gc galant? Do you have to modify the trans tunnel? Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
amgis_obrut

Re: Turbo350 Into GC Galant?

Post by amgis_obrut »

th350 isn't the best choice for a 4cyl they take 36hp to drive in std form (less if rollerized ) Id be leaning towards a ford C4 they require 26hp, the 6cyl boxes have a detachable bell housing they're lighter and more compact than a th350
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

I have one of bills adaptors very nice product I am using a powerglide though does your car have an auto or manual trans tunnel?

Cheers Mic
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

T904 auto trans from a Scorpion? Should be an easier deal to set up than something from another manufacturer's parts bin...
junglehicks

Post by junglehicks »

Mic, How do you find driving the power glide? I'm worried about the 2 speed. What sort of power are you making and what converter? Actually I'm not too sure about mine if it has a manual or auto tunnel I will find out. ahhh. Has someone made ready to go adapter plates for a c4?
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

Mine is not running yet rx22nv can answer drivability questions. My reasoning behind it was purely financial. I am aiming for 500-550whp and I have a 4000 rpm dominello converter.
I had a c9 setup with al's race glides prepped box, dominello 5500 converter, reinforced flexplate, bellhousing adaptor and all the required bits it was all dummy fitted into my car but I changed my mind and sold it the problem with doing a c9/4 setup is everything is modified and it costs to have it all done. My setup cost just under $6k. The c4 setup you must use a custom converter which will be between $1000-1500 depending on who you goto, gearbox minimum $2000 for a basic setup if you want trans brake an the works $3500 then you need the flex plate, bellhousing and so on from a Borg Warner auto you then you need someone to make the adaptor ring and laser cut disc to be welded into the flex plate (warning this must be done as the first time you do a decent launch even off the foot brake with as lo as 300 hp you will tear the flexplate apart) by the time you do this and buy a few other bits and pieces there is not much change out of $1000 yes it can be done cheaper, yes you can use a standard c4/9 even a c10 (but it looks ugly) but it will still cost for all the custom bits that need to be done.

Please don't get me started on the baby 904.

Back to the chev style box in my opinion the best bang for your buck. Bills is the neatest setup I have helped Paul fit up a buscher setup they are costly and once again everything is custom made. Bill's adaptor kit takes all standard GM style components which are plentiful and cheap there is also a good range of second hand bits floating around for the budget conscious.

There is another option that could be good the starion auto box is the same 4speed jatco as the vl commodores tracking one might be hard and it will cost to have it modified but it would make a great street and strip setup.

Cheers Mic
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

I love the c4 9 10 thing, Only in Australia lol

its just a c4 case or pan fill !
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

2 different case fill styles most refer to these so you know that there is a difference in the Australian supplied cases.

Cheers Mic
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Yeah I know and its funny

C9 10 is an Aussie slang thing, Its not referred to anything but a C4 in any ford literature just as pan fill and case fill
Though there is the later C5 which is a case fill C4 with a lock up converter 6 pinion planetary and a larger oil pan

Anyhow I found the c4 to Astron to be an easy conversion, I did this about 18 years ago and went with the BW bell housing and an adapter ring that I designed, torque converter from memory was an 8" C4 converter with mounts welded on to suit the Astron flex plate and the centre locating hub machined to match the Astron converter
S1GMARE

Post by S1GMARE »

I'm in the process of finishing a th350 auto into a auto GE Sigma using Bills adapter. Didn't need any modification to the tunnel.
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

S1GMARE wrote:I'm in the process of finishing a th350 auto into a auto GE Sigma using Bills adapter. Didn't need any modification to the tunnel.
Any pictures avail? Want to go down this path and bit concerned on clearances
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

amgis_obrut wrote:th350 isn't the best choice for a 4cyl they take 36hp to drive in std form (less if rollerized ) Id be leaning towards a ford C4 they require 26hp, the 6cyl boxes have a detachable bell housing they're lighter and more compact than a th350

A good 'ol fashioned trimatic is certainly strong enough to hold together from 4cyl power and they also are quite an effecient g/box (as far as autos go)
and the power loss will also depend on what sort of torque converter u use also (however, the driveability will change also)
Built with pride, Driven in anger
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Yep a traumatic is definitely a good choice for an astron, actually surprised it hasn't been done
Then again its one of those boxes that often get over looked
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

actually I can see one problem with using a trimatic
conversion bellhousings would be very hard to make as the oil pump is cast into the rear of the bell