Saturn Different clutch sizes

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
VGJONO

Saturn Different clutch sizes

Post by VGJONO »

If this is in the wrong section then pleas move it to the correct section

So today i found out an interesting fact, that Pre August 74 Saturns (correct me if im wrong) had a smaller clutch, since i robbed a 74 Galant for its motor i had this smaller clutch, when i ordered a new clutch i ordered for a 76 thinking there would be no difference, turns out that the clutch plate and pressure plates are different, and the flywheels between the two have their locating studs in different places, The smaller Pre aug 74 is around 7 1/4" in diameter where as the later clutches are around 8" in diameter.

Now onto my question, since i have the larger clutch i checked another motor i havbe and it has a flywheel that will suit the clutch, now i want to know if i am going to encounter any more issues if i simply switch out the flywheel to the one with the studs placed for the larger clutch??

Flywheel to suit small clutch

Flywheel to suit large clutch

any help would be appreciated in confirming i will have no issues with doing this

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
A112H

Re: Saturn Different clutch sizes

Post by A112H »

Measure up the diametre of the ring gear. If that is the same you should be fine IMHO. As long as it is the same the starter will work and the fly wont foul on the bellhousing.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

I suspect it's a capacity thing (eg. 1400 vs 1600), rather than model year.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

had my mate at Auto one check the listings and they are different, all pre 74 august (i think its august) has a different part number in comparison to afterwards. Also seeing as all 4G32's are narrowblock and no-one as of yet has had trouble with fitting a 5 speed to either clutch style i would say there are no changes to the flywheel diameter, just more surface area is used and the studs are closer to the edge.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

1300 and 1400 should be smaller than the 1500 and 1600.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Either way, the most important thing to check will be that the flywheel actually fits and that the starter motor gear has the same teeth spacing and pitch, etc, otherwise the swap might be a short-lived exercise :-)
wheelbarrow

Post by wheelbarrow »

I can confirm your small clutch theory. I pulled a 1600 4 spd out of a gc wagon and also found that it had the small clutch.