LSD upgrade in a gb sedan

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
75glnt

LSD upgrade in a gb sedan

Post by 75glnt »

Hey guys... Done a search an didn't get my answer...

I'm after a LSD for my gb.. Wether it be a new diff, or a LSD centre for my stock diff (which I'm aware of the rarity). I've sen Jase' r31 conversion... And another's hilux conversion. I'm just wondering what else can be done? On the cheap? I want to still run my low offset wheels, so the r31/hilux diff will need a cut and shut.. Am I best to do it once do it right and get something stronger? (9" etc. I won't need it with this engine, but who knows what's around the corner :) ).

Also, how strong are the 10 bolt diffs? L200/300 diffs in particular.

What's so bad about a welded diff? If done well. ( not fussed on wheel spin while turning in car parks, its something I can deal with.

Cheers,
Mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Re: LSD upgrade in a gb sedan

Post by A112H »

75glnt wrote:Hey guys... Done a search an didn't get my answer...
Cheers,
Mick :)
The short answers to your questions are;
75glnt wrote: I'm just wondering what else can be done? On the cheap? I want to still run my low offset wheels, so the r31/hilux diff will need a cut and shut.
Nothing will "bolt in" without modification and narrowing.
75glnt wrote: Am I best to do it once do it right and get something stronger? (9" etc. I won't need it with this engine, but who knows what's around the corner :) ).
Yes you are better off financially to do it once. I wouldn't bother with a 9". Huge price tag aside, they are way too heavy and not needed in such a small lightweight car.
75glnt wrote:Also, how strong are the 10 bolt diffs? L200/300 diffs in particular.
The 10 bolt diffs are fine, they will take a fair amount of hard driving and some abuse. But like everything, if you neglect it and constantly abuse it, it will break.
75glnt wrote:What's so bad about a welded diff? If done well. ( not fussed on wheel spin while turning in car parks, its something I can deal with.
DO NOT DO THIS. The wheel slip at low speed is nothing more than annoying. At highway speeds and in the wet a welded diff is a total death trap. They are very dangerous and are a poor mans excuse to get his under powered (usually Commodores) piece of shit to do twins and slide.
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

As usual, this is MHO and it is your car, do what you feel is right :D
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

No worries about the welded diff :) I know alot of people grown upon them. Just wondering why.

And fair enough about the 9". Figured they'd weigh a tonne! :P

I can raid the 10 bolt outta my l300 van (POS!).

And I'm aware I would need to cut and shut nearly anything I want under there. So if I'm paying for one to be cut up, I may as well get a good one...

How do I go about performance parts for the 10 bolt (billet axels, LSD/spools etc). And how many ratios do they come in?
N/A ALL THE WAY
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

This might be a dumb question .... but why do you want / need an LSD ? Is this for a road car or a competition car ?

Also, there was a thread here only a week or so ago where someone in Bendigo (Vic) has a genuine Galant/Lancer LSD for sale ie. will just bolt in.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... SD#p101568

Note : The terms "LSD" and "on the cheap" are a contradiction ... there's no such thing, really.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Haha I meant cheaper than the $3500 a cut down 9" will cost.

And I pm'ed the guy selling the LSD centre and he hasn't got back to me, although he's been on.. The lumley93 bloke was in first, then me, then rally2.6 (I think that's his name.. Blue lc hatch as his DP).

The car is a street track car and I plan on doing tight khana corses and bitumen events that need a handbrake and LSD.
N/A ALL THE WAY