FWD KM164 trans and axle

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
kidde16

FWD KM164 trans and axle

Post by kidde16 »

Good day mates... im from the philippines i want to know how to understand this numbering on a transmission and axle of a FWD and RWD cars i dont know what is it.. by the way my car is a 1987 lancer fiore with a 4g63 N/A engine.. its engine was a 4g32 turbo before and now i swap for a N/A but im still using my old 4g32 transmission that that is a km164 is that a good pair to my 4g63 N/A is it a high speed tranny and axle or do i have to use the original 4g63 manual transmission? any information can help.. thanks mates...
geezer101

Re: FWD KM164 trans and axle

Post by geezer101 »

Hi kidde16. My opinion is your stock transmission will be o.k. for an engine upgrade. The only thing that could possibly get in the way of you using the G63B is the engine mount at the timing belt end of the motor. You will need a custom mount made from 2 halves of the engine mount welded together (the brace from the G63B engine and the bushing mount from the G32B engine). I've done a G62B (1.8 litre) swap into a G32B powered Mitsubishi Colt and it ran very well. Image
kidde16

Post by kidde16 »

thank you for you reply sir... im using a N/A DOHC 2G 4G63 sir... the fact is that the engine is already installed in the car like you said we have to change its mountings on the side of the engine and on the timing belt side proudly speaking we filiponos are good with this conversion thingy hahahah what i am concerned about is if my 4g32 turbo tranny will hold up to my DOHC 4g63 well im relieved when you said it will run well.. but what if i go turbocharge cause thats what im planning for a very long time now... you see sir 4g63 manual transmission here in our country is very rare and transmission from other FWD lancer lacks top speed so thats why im worried that my transmission is the only thing i got right now. by the way sir can you do a DIY tach interface for a 4g63 DOHC?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The closest I could think of in regards to a transmission conversion would be something along the lines of a Cordia turbo transmission. I've seen the complete drivetrain installed into a Colt (same as above) and it appeared to be relatively straight forward. I did do a test to see if the gear selector linkages were interchangeable between the stock Colt linkages and the ones in a Cordia turbo and they were a direct swap(the Cordia selector linkages were a lot thicker). The Cordia turbo gearbox will survive up to 350 hp put through it - so there's little chance of it failing unless it was badly abused. As for the tacho wiring, I'm not sure of the best place to locate the trigger wire but I bet it's already in the loom plugged into the back of your instrument panel. My bible says that, typically, the white wire in the instrument panel plug is the tacho wire - remove your instrument panel and find a white wire in the loom plug and check that it doesn't correspond to any circuit in the instrument panel (there could even be a track on the back of the instrument panel marked 'tacho' indicating it was an option but not fitted). Hope this helps you with your conversion. And do post some pics as you progress through your build! :thumpsup:
kidde16

Post by kidde16 »

thanks sir.... really the cars runs like hell with the tranny in 2nd gear the car is running 120kph already that is 60mph right? the engines rev isnt max yet when ive tried that since i have no tachometer i cant really max the engine combined with a proper gear shifting.. so i just rely on the sound weird thing is at 120 kph the engine can still give more since i havent hit the rev limit my stock ECU has