Galant diff strength

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
2Lgalant

Galant diff strength

Post by 2Lgalant »

So cause I've got stupid amounts of galant thought ill turn one into a burnout car I'm going to weld it up but my judgement
is it won't last very long till it goes pop or will it ? What have you guys done to a stock galant diff and how has it held up
Jordan1249

Re: Galant diff strength

Post by Jordan1249 »

was doing a sitter probably 2 months ago in my GC welded diff and axle snapped after about maybe 1:30 tbh if you wanna make a real burnout car drop like 308 or something and put a 9inch axle in it will cost a bit tho
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

It's only a budget build to thrash the tits out of a galant was also thinking maybe gh sigma diff slightly better then a galant diff but still to much stuffing about really isn't it
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

if you want a real burnout car go buy something that has a good diff, can fit a burnout engine and box, and wont kill us galant lovers on the inside :blah:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I've found it's not the diff it's how you use it.
If you can get the rear wheels up to speed, the diff will last fine.
Think about it, weak diff+ traction+ power= disaster.
But if you can start the burnout off in water or on grass, and then move onto concrete or tar or something then you have a much better chance of it lasting.

I suppose it could be called mechanical sympathy.
Axle tramp is a sure way to break things. Load on, load off, load on load off, is a sure way to break things.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

I've dumped my clutch pretty hard once... Stood up without any tramp.. Started on bitumen. Only went for about 30m but changed into 2nd and hit it again... But on a regular basis?? I think maybe some tramp bars and hard tyres... It'll hold for a bit
N/A ALL THE WAY
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Don't worry the cars rooted bog everywhere so don't worry about it being a good car gone to shit lol
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

while on the topic of galant diffs anyone know a diff that's new and more common to find axles for that would basically bolt straight in to galants ?
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

I'm more curious as to what's the best option to swap into the rear of our gc/gd galants for strength and durability... Also a LSD if possible? I'm still coming to terms that it has leaf springs as i'm so used to just putting adjustable coilovers in my other cars! Maybe its time for a IRS swap ;).
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.