KM119 Abuse! Anyone else beating on this box?

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
IncorpoRatedX

KM119 Abuse! Anyone else beating on this box?

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

Hey guys, last summer I swapped a turbo 4G63 into my wagon, the chassis is a 1973, the engine/trans was supposedly a 1978, 4G52 and a KM119 cable clutch in it.

I swapped the engine in with a newer stock replacement clutch and pressure plate (OEM cheapy from the autopart store it looked like) and the 4G52 flywheel. I was just doing this to get the car up and running, work through the engine pieces and hiccups and then swap out the trans to a hydro narrow block KM132.

It's been almost a year since the swap, I've driven a ton of miles, I'm only running 7psi out of the 14b turbo, but it pulls strong, I've never launched it, never done a burn out, never power shifted it, but I'll roll into the throttle in 3rd gear and go for a good pull regularly. I currently daily drive the car and it still shifts like it did when I originally did the swap. :thumpsup:

So who else out there has been rocking a KM119 and kept it in one piece? I'm wondering when this thing is going to fail on me.

The car:

The engine:
1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx
IncorpoRatedX

Re: KM119 Abuse! Anyone else beating on this box?

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

update:

took the wagon to a car show a couple weekends ago, 3 hours on the highway, 7 lbs of boost, 70+ mph speeds, heats the little baby clutch up and it starts to slip.

replace the tiny clutch in the km119?

Nah.

KM132

v6 eclipse Exedy disk, machined eclipse/vr4/evo flywheel for pilot bearing, eclipse/vr4/evo

1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx
A112H

Post by A112H »

Nice work :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
I am still clutch shopping for mine, seems we don't have nearly as many retails with a clue as you guys do :P
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

What do you mean? I bought the exedy clutch through ebay, it's technically for a 2001 Eclipse with a V6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151045584129

PART NUMBER: MBD901U
DISC DIAMETER: 9-1/16" (225 mm)
SPLINE DIAMETER: 1" (25.4 mm)
SPLINE COUNT: 23 spline teeth

Over the weekend I bulked up to the 132 transmission. Details:

Donor: 1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max, 2 liter, 2 wheel drive, cable driven clutch

Parts needed for swap from my KM119:
KM132 trans
early evo/gvr4/eclipse flywheel machined for pilot bearing
early evo/gvr4/eclipse pressure plate
mighty max pilot bearing
clutch disc from v6 eclipse (listed above) disc spline is different diameter and number than the early evo/gvr4/eclipse
depending on the year of the transmission you may need the front yoke of them mighty max driveshaft 86 or older, same as colt, 86 or newer, larger diameter. Mighty max driveshafts have the same diff mounting flange though so instead of swapping the yoke you could have a driveshaft shop shorten the mighty max driveshaft (beefier tube but too long) otherwise, it's a good chance to replace the ujoints in your stock driveshaft (same as mighty max)

difference between KM132 (left) and KM119 (right) clutches. Oddly enough the clutch was likely slipping due to 3 of the pressure plate bolts being loose, i had been running solid motor mounts for a few months (as in solid steel to chassis) and im guessing it rattled some shit loose. So the clutch might hold up to more than I thought.

The first thing you notice when comparing the KM119 to the KM132 is just how small the KM119 is, it's obviously the dirty one (oil leak from back of valve cover) but it's very narrow compared to the 132.

this is another dead give away for which trans you have, note; shifter location and overall length of transmission is still identical to the KM119

here the only difference to note is the different input shaft diameters:

Also note: the trans pans are different, so a Tuffpans reinforcement plate for a 132 wont work on a 119

All in all, start to finish, it was a single day project, the KM119 has no bearing play, fluid looks good and the clutch was likely slipping due to loose pressure plate bolts, it's currently unknown how much power a KM119 will hold, my room mate might put the trans into something and Im certain we will soon find out how easily a KM119 does break. :thumpsup:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So what is the difference between the two, i noticed my 5 speed was different to a few friends 5 speed, guessing mine is a KM119 ??
webby

Post by webby »

Probably an early KM132 out of a GE/GH Scorpion, KM119s are 4spd.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

No Webby, KM110s are 4spds, KM119 are the early 5spds.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion