LSD diff/ diff centre for ga galant

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
Lumley93

LSD diff/ diff centre for ga galant

Post by Lumley93 »

Anyone know we're I an get
My
Hands on a LSD diff centre or LSD diff for my
Ga galant
A112H

Re: LSD diff/ diff centre for ga galant

Post by A112H »

1972 is maybe to only place you will find one.
You can use a Starion or EX Lancer centre in a narrowed Scorpion diff or you can narrow a R31 Skyline diff if you want to keep it the same PCD.
If a different PCD is not an issue you can get any LSD you want to use narrowed to suit.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Like Jason said ... they are rocking horse poo !

Only production car they came out in (I think) was some Lancer 1600GSRs ? ... otherwise, they were only available as a competition option part as far as I am aware.

They come up for sale 2nd hand very occasionally, but expect to pay $1500 or so before any refurbishing costs. Other than the genuine part, there are no LSD centres that will bolt straight in to a Galant / Lancer rear end (dammit :banh: )
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Due to how rare LSD's are, I'd suggest a CIG locker if that's what you're after.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Big difference between a LSD and a locked diff though ...

Another option (which I have in my car) is a "spring-based" LSD conversion by Tayell Automotive in Melbourne. It works similar to this .... http://www.phantomgrip.com/

Won't stay "locked" with major horsepower, but a heck of a lot better than an open diff (on gravel, anyway). It's also pretty cheap (well under $1000 I think ? Mine was in the car when I bought it).

Not an off-the-shelf part ... they convert your diff centre.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

davetrees wrote:Big difference between a LSD and a locked diff though ...
Yep for sure.
But if you've just gotta have both wheels driving then it's certainly the cheap option.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

A welded diff is in the top 10 of the dumbest things to do to a car. Horrendous for low speed turns in car parks and lethal on wet roads and loose surfaces, the only thing this will do is leave you more cash to spend - on your funeral. If your GA is being purpose built for competition or you have taken it's HP to it's threshold then it's time to invest in a properly fitted LSD.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Just for the record, I would never have a welded diff in my car.
I actually gave away 2 welded rear ends not so long ago that came in parts I acquired.

All I am saying by the suggestion of a welded diff is, some people just want to rip skids, some people just have to have both wheels spinning, some people don't care if they damage their cars by tearing the rear ends out of them.

I have no idea the purpose Lumley93 has for his car.
For some people a couple of thousand on an LSD is a deal breaker, I was just putting up the cheap option as an alternative.

For me personally, to spend the sort of money required to fit an LSD to a Galant, I would have be using the car in serious competition and for it to actually make a difference to the driving performance of the car, not just normal driving around on the streets.

Dave...
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Sorry about the ill communication there Dave. That wasn't aimed directly at you but as a blanket statement. Some 'suggestions' on what could be done don't come with a disclaimer or a warning, and are often passed on by an individual without responsibility or understanding. Lumley93 has put it out there asking for info and options which is fair enough. An LSD was never going to be a 'cheap' option but he can work from between a modded diff from a wrecker to a full custom rear end. All comes down to cash or a lucky break and a few favours from mates.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Another suggestion?? Air locker.

It sounds weird as its a 4wd mod.. But it's cheaper than a LSD. And works a treat!

It acts the exact same as a spool.. And you can turn in on or off to save tyres from squeezing around corners.
N/A ALL THE WAY
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

I know people who have used air lockers in rally cars and they work quite well. Car wasn't a Galant though and not sure of running gear.
I have a shortened Hilux LSD in my LC with 3.475:1 ratio, works a pearl, and exceptionally strong, only problem is a bit more heavy.

Cheers
Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Ive got an old LSD in a box in the back of the shed im not using. I took it out of my old rally car a number of years ago. I'll have a dig around and see if i can find it and get back to you.
Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

geezer101 wrote:A welded diff is in the top 10 of the dumbest things to do to a car. Horrendous for low speed turns in car parks and lethal on wet roads and loose surfaces, the only thing this will do is leave you more cash to spend - on your funeral. If your GA is being purpose built for competition or you have taken it's HP to it's threshold then it's time to invest in a properly fitted LSD.
I have welded diff in my GC (previous owner did it) and the only real big problem ive had is i snapped 2 axles but im going back to stock cause of tho on the mere facted that axles for our cars are too hard to find and way too expensive to be made but in wet and gravel if you have good tires you never really have a problem as long you dont be an idiot during those conditions
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Found it in a box under a pile of crap. Pulled it down and cleaned all parts to see what state it is in. It will need new bearings of course but plates and ring gear etc are in great condition. Ratio is 3.9:1. I would recomend taking it to a diff expert to shim it all up unless you know how to aline a diff? Same with pre load and all that stuff. Its all a bit of a black art for me. LOL. :$

As for price? PM me your best offer i guess.

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Lumley93? Hello?
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

@JimmyG
Is that to suit an 8 bolt diff? Would it suit GC?
If no response from Lumley93 I would be very thankful to use that in my GC touring car.

Cheers
Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
A112H

Post by A112H »

Found one, genuine A73 Lancer LSD centre and only $500 but the freight would be a killer

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... r108310511
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Postage isn't that bad. I bought a 10 bolt lsd through import monster a while back. The shipping and so on was just over $200, plus commission fees, etc. Just did an estimate on this and the total cost with everything included would be around $850 to my door, but would take a month or 2 by sea.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

A112H wrote:Found one, genuine A73 Lancer LSD centre and only $500 but the freight would be a killer
Doesn't say what ratio it is ? I assume probably either a 3.9 or 4.2 (rather than the competition-spec 4.6)