Scorpion Diffs

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Scorpion Diffs

Post by Scorpma82 »

OK,
I've had a read at pretty much all the threads regarding this issue and i still no clear answer!

My questions are these:

Is there a factory Scorpion LSD (live axle) available?
Is there an after market version available?

(Incase you are wondering, the ration im after is the factory 3.30 or TALLER)
Built with pride, Driven in anger
C_Fernance

Re: Scorpion Diffs

Post by C_Fernance »

As far as I am aware there is no such thing as a factory Scorp LSD, however there are LSD's available that will fit. They are extremely rare and not easy to find. Easiest would be an EX Lancer LSD, but i have heard of Starion, Pajero and L300 LSD centres being made to fit.

If you can track down an EX Lancer rear end then they are the same as the later Scorp diffs, but with vented brakes and the LSD. Otherwise just the centre can be swapped into a Scorp diff housing. They are around 3.9:1 ratio so more work would be required if you wanted to use it with the Scorps 3.3:1 crownwheel and pinion.

I have heard of higher performance centres to suit the EX Lancer LSD, possibly either Ralliart or Cusco centres? Good luck finding one.
mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

I think it was only the GT Turbo EX Lancer that got LSD's. Very hard to come by and fetch good coin. I regularly see these diffs on Trademe with people asking if it is LSD. 99% of the time it isn't. I have just purchased a 10 bolt from one of these to put in my GD and hope to get an LSD one day.
A112H

Post by A112H »

No Scorpion was LSD in Australia. GE's were a 8 bolt diff and GH onwards was a 10 bolt diff. You can get 10 bolt LS centres from EX Lancers and Starions.

Here is the one in my hardtop

Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

So what ratio can you get with LSD in a Scorpion diff?

It lokos as tho i'll be going down the Skyline path
A112H

Post by A112H »

EX Lancer is 3.89:1 but the gear set from any 10 bolt centre will fit.
Stock Scorpions were 3.3:1
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Hmmmm, definately soudns like a Skyline job then....It seems to suit all my needs at the cheapest price

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it
A112H

Post by A112H »

Remember when you are looking for centres for the Skyline diff, Borg Warner 78, that the are exactly the same centre as XE-AU Fords, VL-VS Non IRS Commodores. Might be cheaper to buy a non LS Skyline diff and then chase a new centre, they are pretty cheap.
They are available in 28 or 31 spline.
If you do buy a non LS diff make sure it is a Skyline diff, the Pintara diff's were only 25 spline so a LS centre will not fit.

Cheap centre
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-pinion-lsd ... 500wt_1288
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

yeah im awawre of the BW78 diffs......i'll (most likely) go the R31 to save costs of shortening and keeping the 4stud pattern

I'm on the R31 Skyline club forum atm trying to find out if the R31 GTS bolt onto the original diff
lance

Post by lance »

Hi About an LSD centre for the Scorpian diff . Thay are as every one says hard to find. Thay are getting old so how do you go with parts ?
Bearings should be fine but what about the clutch plates can you get new ones ??
With mounting a Scorp diff in a lancer will the shocks foul on any part of the disc brake/ hand brake assembly ?
ompong

Post by ompong »

Although it's been a while since the last post, I hope somebody would reply and enlighten me. First, I would like to ask if how big (7", 7.5", 8", etc.) is the LSD center that would fit the stock Scorpion Diffs? Second, this size referred to the diameter of the ring gear, right?

Thanks. :)