Gearbox oil question??

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
kaoskitten9871

Gearbox oil question??

Post by kaoskitten9871 »

Hey guys, what gearbox oil, and how much, should i be putting into a 5spd manual jap and borgwarner gearbox, on the 2L Astron motors? thanks :)
geezer101

Re: Gearbox oil question??

Post by geezer101 »

Hi kaoskitten9871, welcome to S-G. Any good quality gearbox oil will do the job, something with a synthetic additive to reduce gear and synchro wear is an added bonus. As for filling the gearbox, there is a threaded plug on the side of both the gearboxes - this is the fill point. I've used a squeeze bottle and a tube to get the oil into the case (fill it slowly so it doesn't gush back out everywhere). When oil starts to flow back out, there's enough oil in the box. :thumpsup:
siggyloverWA

Post by siggyloverWA »

75w-90, buy 2.5 litres and youll have a little left over but yea pump it in till its up to the filler plug
Turbo047

Post by Turbo047 »

Borg Warner 5sp boxes take automatic fluid. For real! I didn't think it was right and put the thinest normal gearbox oil in. It made it very hard to change gears.

Now I use nothing but Valvoline Max Life ATF in all my cars. It is a great oil. You really feel the difference even in my Jag and Land Rover.
"Just remember, if you aren't forced induced, then you aren't SH#T"
GH Sigma Turbo no. 047

Leyland P76 V8 (next for resto)
Jaguar XJ8 Sport (british racing green of course)
Land Rover Discovery II V8 (the daily drive)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Turbo047 wrote:Borg Warner 5sp boxes take automatic fluid. For real! I didn't think it was right and put the thinest normal gearbox oil in. It made it very hard to change gears.
What the... well, I learn sumpin' new every day. 8-)
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

yep, i was a bit dumbfounded when i went to check the box in my gj to see if it had anything in it, to then find it had bright red atf fluid in it. ofcourse it wasnt the same colour about 6 months later :thumpsup: ATF fluid defiantly for the BW boxes. is there a workshop manual some where which actually recommends atf fluid as well?