KM-132 rebuild help please!

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
camB

KM-132 rebuild help please!

Post by camB »

Bought Jap 5 speed from wrecker. Was out of a GJ Sigma but my old extension housing went on fine. My problem is the input shaft... It's thicker!
Only noticed this when trying to mate gearbox with clutch. Bugger, I know!
Now, it needs to be said that the "new" box has been rebuilt with all new bearings and synchro's, and the gears look brand new. This was obviously a very low mileage box, but I'd never rebuilt a gearbox so did it anyway (a million photos of the stripping and rebuilding of main shaft if anybody's interested). That bring said, I'm loathe to rip it apart again to swap input shafts.

Question to the wise: swap input shafts? Or get new clutch to fit?
GB_BB4C

Re: KM-132 rebuild help please!

Post by GB_BB4C »

get a new clutch.

on a side note. are you sure the output shaft is small and not a large one. i have made this mistake before as the extention housing will fit either way.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

camB

Post by camB »

Output shaft same. Measured both with calipers and they matched (can't remember the exact figure but was same) and I've tested the tailshaft marries up to it too.

So.... new clutch the best option?
I just look for a GJ Sigma, 2 litre clutch kit? Any clues on part numbers as I imagine most of them came out with 2.6 motors.
Oh, is that why the input shaft is thicker.... same clutch?

Keep help coming please as I really don't want to pull apart my beautiful new gearbox.
camB

Post by camB »

This is the clutch plate I'm looking for I think. (OD 215mm - 23T - Spline 26.25mm)
I'll double check measurements tomorrow. Hoping I can just put a new clutch plate in as the clutch is only a few years old.

The Borg Warner version is 10mm bigger diameter but same spline size and teeth.
camB

Post by camB »

Old clutch plate 200mm OD - Can't just change plate so new clutch it is.
Turning up tomorrow, along with a full set of welch plugs coz whilst it's up on the hoist at school I spotted a couple "bleeding". :\

"New" gearbox is beautiful!! I remember thinking $49 for the little plastic bush that sits inside the shifter mechanism was pretty steep when compared to the $150 for all new seals, synchro's, and bearings, but the feel of the shifter is now awesome! Snicks between gears beautifully. :D