Correcting speedo

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
wheelbarrow

Correcting speedo

Post by wheelbarrow »

I've just done a 2.6 and 5 speed (out of a GJ sigma) conversion into a GC, with the standard diff and I'm just trying to get the speedo on my galant to read correctly
I am wondering how many types/teeth?colored speedo gears are there available to swap into a 5 speed, to correct the speedo, as it's obvious that the standard sigma diff is a different ratio to a galant, something like 3.88 in the sig to a 4.33 in the galant( not exactly sure). LC lancers came with 5 speed, what was their diff ratio and which speedo gear do they run?
And more importantly which color/number of teeth gear do i need to find????
I know i'm asking alot of questions but this something that has not been covered in the numerous engine/gearbox conversion threads.
Cheers
Zvon
davetrees

Re: Correcting speedo

Post by davetrees »

Galants & Lancers in Australia all came with 3.889 diffs (except very early 1300 Colt AI which had a 4.3)

Are you still running the stock 13" wheels on the Galant ? What size wheels did the GJ run ?
wheelbarrow

Post by wheelbarrow »

Yes i'm running 13x6 with 205 60 rubber, which is the same as standard. The GJ ran 14's with 185 70 or 75, which is definetly a taller tyre.
So does anyone know what speedo gear -color/number of teeth, LC lancers with the 5 speed and 13 inch wheels ran? As i beleive this is what i'm looking for.
Regards
Zvon
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Use the gear that was in you origional box in the car...
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

wheelbarrow

Post by wheelbarrow »

I would, but the speedo gear from a 4 speed won't fit a 5 speed gearbox
Zvon
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

You probably need the speedo gear from a GE Sigma .... which had 5speed + 13" wheels ?
wheelbarrow

Post by wheelbarrow »

Does anyone have a 5 speed gearbox from a GE sigma or a LC lancer hatch and can tell me how many teeth the speedo gear in the gearbox has?
Regards
Zvon