4G63 Transmission?

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
plusmore

4G63 Transmission?

Post by plusmore »

hi i have a mitsubishi L300 Van with a evo 2 4g63 in it.
i am currently using the standard 5spd box but getting a microtech and a gt30/71 turbo fitted so would either like to go something stronger or get a standard one rebuilt and strengthened (as i have heard they are quite strong and it seems to handle the std 4g63)

cheers
cane
S1GMARE

Re: 4G63 Transmission?

Post by S1GMARE »

Who is the guy that said they have a quite strong gearbox? LOL. How many guys have you seen put a mitsubishi RWD 5 speed gearbox behind any engine making more than 80kw? Of course it has held up with the standard 4G63.That what it is designed for, nothing more.
Your best bet is a Supra 5 speed. There is heaps of info on kits on this forum.
billhincher

Post by billhincher »

I build all kinds of adaptors for the 4G63 and 4G64 engines as well as the G54b engines and EVO 4 through 9
This is for the T 56 GM trans
This is for the R 154 Toyota supra turbo trans
This is for the GM auto trans
and this is for the W series Toyota trans

some others are in progress
wilksy

Post by wilksy »

wow thats amaizing billhincher, you do all this yourself?

How much is a W58 gearbox bellhousing adaptor for a 4g63 if u make them ?
billhincher

Post by billhincher »

yes, I do them all myself >;o) from top to bottom and yes, I have them for the W 55/59 non turbo toyota trans

wilksy

Post by wilksy »

wow thats uneal. Many kudos :thumpsup:
rob020

Post by rob020 »

wow, they look cast... you actually make them from (thick) sheet metal?? genius
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

rob020 wrote:wow, they look cast
I believe they are cast.
This is the process he takes to dummy up the bell-housing to make the mold from.

Cheers.
billhincher

Post by billhincher »

yes, they are cast out of aluminuim and then treated to a T 6 hardness before machining

the peice that I biuld out of sheet metal is a pattern, when I build them , they are built 1% larger then the expected size because the casting shrinks 1% after it cools, the pattern must also offer the final 'draft' angle on all its surfaces to allow the sand to fall away from the casting
rob020

Post by rob020 »

ah cool, ya learn something new everyday lol
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
Sigmaman

Post by Sigmaman »

Anyways, :hit: back to the L3oo van. The vans use a remotely shifted 'box. Meaning the shifter is up here at the front, while the gearbox is back there behind the seats. So we don't have to consider the BW box horror stories. The boxes in the vans are quite strong. :thumpsup: But they are prone to wearing out like all boxes. And there's still a few boxes around wreckers if you do manage to break one. Make sure the maintenance is up to date on the shift gear in your van.
To say that social direction is not a product of belief is to say that
there is no intelligence. But that itself is not intelligent. You
cannot intelligently claim that there is no intelligence.
S1GMARE

Post by S1GMARE »

Maybe put an auto using bills adapter with a B&M shifter. no need for the linkages.
billhincher

Post by billhincher »

I took the last w series bellhousing and put it on a diet
I thinned the walls and expanded the rear facing, I included the EVO 4/9 bolt pattern along with the first and second gen narrow block and placed the bolt pattern for the pre 96 R 150 and 150 trans as well as the original W 55/59 transmission , while I was at it I moved the starter bolts to the AWD flywheel
Image Image
I finished out the dual bolt pattern for the trans side so it accepts both the w 55/59 trans or the R 151
or 150 trans

Image Image

I am building 3 bellhousings right now, I want to be completed in a couple weeks
Image Image Image

I liked how the bolt holes lined up in the T 5 project so well, I went back and did it to this model too
I spent a great deal of time on wall thickness, I wanted to get i as light as possible without sacrificing strength
these are built to be used on the narrow block first gen, and second gen and EVO 4 through9 its going to be used with the AWD flywheel, I can build it to accept the FWD but its too confusing to have them machined at a outsource if I switch around
Image Image

all the planning and designing is over, now its just old fashioned sanding
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image
sand and fill sand and fill
caged

Post by caged »

I just came across this site from a google search. Iam doing a 2L 450+whp mitsubishi express van and im also interested finding a stronger gearbox in the future, I have a series 8 RX7 gearbox I was looking at converting to cable shift (a few of the mid mounted kit cars modify subaru and porsch gearboxes to cable). Do anyone no anyone that has done a gearbox conversion into an L300/express?
Also how strong are the standard gear box's? does anyone know of one (van) that has been broken? I did a turbo 4g64 L300 that made 300whp and I didn't kill the box but it was never a quick shifting box lol. Are the 2L and 2.4L box's the same internally apart from cable/hydraulic clutch? Are any of the 2L box's hydraulic clutch? cheers josh