Another VR4 Conversion Starter/Flywheel Issue

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
SIR

Another VR4 Conversion Starter/Flywheel Issue

Post by SIR »

Hi Guys just dropped a new narrow 6bolt engine with a new flywheel and clutch into the race car and I am having some issues with the starter meshing, running a w58 box with dellow bellhousing.

New fly wheel should have a 280mm 110tooth ring gear (same as previous setup) I have yet to count the teeth as I am not looking forwards to doing it in the car. I reused my 9tooth stater but it hardly cranks over eventually stops cranking after a few goes and the starter gear doesn't disengage from the flywheel. I grabbed the starter out of my spare parts car (LB sedan with a 1.6, 4spd) it too has the same failure, we backed of the two bolts to let it have some free play and it did crank quicker. Also tired pulling the spark plugs as I thought the motor being high comp was too hard for the starter to turn but it had no effect.
I just installed a mates brand new 8 tooth starter out of his 2.6 sigma and it cranked a lot better but still meshes poorly with the flywheel and make a racket when it starts, also had to run this starter with loose bolts to allow the gear to disengage.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I am starting to think that something it up with the ring gear being too large, next possible fix is to open up one of the holes in bellhousing so I can pull the starter away from the ring gear but would prefer an alternative such as a slightly different starter is there is such thing. I am also puzzled how I can switch between an 8 and 9 tooth starter and get similar results.

Here is a photo of the flywheel and clutch, it looks the sexy but driving me nuts.

JimmyG

Re: Another VR4 Conversion Starter/Flywheel Issue

Post by JimmyG »

Bit of a pain the whole thing is back together. My money is on the flywheel dia being different. The 4g6x 6 bolt flywheel come in 3 size's. RWD, FWD and AWD. Each one is different.
Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

PS From memory each one is about 10mm different.
stealth

Post by stealth »

Yeah there are 3 different diameter flywheels
You will have to ask dellows what dia there
bellhousing are designed for !
hinchner w5x bellhousing are suited to awd
flywheel
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
SIR

Post by SIR »

Found some more info lastnight. My original flywheel was a FWD 280mm 110tooth, the new one was meant to be the same however they used a ford ring gear which is a few mm larger in diameter. Easy fix of machining a few mm off the teeth of the ring gear but not so easy to pull it all apart.

Now considering opening up the starter locating holes so I can move it slightly away from the ring gear or modding the pinion gear in the starter. Oh the joys of modified cars :)
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

LOL its always something. :banh:
stealth

Post by stealth »

It wont be easy to move the starter holes
as there tapped and you only need to move
them a couple of mm
cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

What a pain in the rectum.

After going to that much trouble with the conversion, I wouldn't skimp now.
Drop the box and remove the fly wheel to have the ring gear machined. At least then, it's done properly, eh.
:thumpsup:

cheers
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
SIR

Post by SIR »

All sorted I only had to open up the diameter of the bolts holes in the bellhousing a few mm and take a few mm off the diameter of the sandwich plate between the bell housing and engine.

Now time to get it back on the track and break the gearbox