4G63 SOHC carby to DOHC Twin Webers

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
simon

4G63 SOHC carby to DOHC Twin Webers

Post by simon »

Hi,
I am wondering if someone with more knowledge than me could tell me if what I am considering would work in my LA Lancer.
I have a SOHC 4G63 carby motor (ex L300) hoping to put DOHC head on it - possibly a Sonata or possibly 4G67 1800 DOHC from a Galant. I suppose I would need nearly a complete motor to get the timing covers and belt tensioners etc.

I would like to use a pair of 48 DCOE Webers (partly because they are more from my era - showing my age).

I guess I will have trouble with ignition eg: - crank shaft sensor
- I will lose the distributor from SOHC head

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Simon
A112H

Re: 4G63 SOHC carby to DOHC Twin Webers

Post by A112H »

Where are you based Simon?
I might be able to help you out with a few parts for what you are planning
simon

Post by simon »

Hi Jason,
Thanks for the quick reply.

I am in Northern NSW. I can find plenty of Sonata heads and I think I have found a 4G 67 in a Galant ( when read compliance plate I thought it said 4G57, but I think it would have to be a 4G 6&. It should have a high compression big port head I think)

What parts would you have?

I have an Astron twin weber manifold which I may be able to convert.

Regards Simon
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

www.austarion.com have heaps of info on converting their SOHC '63's to twincam (turbo'd obviously) as for the webbers though you're kind of in new territory there. But nothing's impossible :thumpsup: I think 45mm webbers might be a little more appropriate and there's a few other twin choke side draught carb options out there.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
simon

Post by simon »

Thanks very much for the info and link. I can spend a bit of time reading it and exploring my options.
We used to run 48 DCOEs on our 4G52s and 4G54 rally cars. Can you see any other major problems with my plan?

Regards Simon
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Displacement mainly. The '63 is a 2L motor plus your astrons were worked competition motors that would have run at wide open throttle and high rpm. I have 45s (triple) on the L28 in my zed and it goes like hell at full throttle its a pig everywhere else. Different motor but displacement per cyl is close as is the street application.

Hey, I'm no expert (and I did assume its a street car) so when it comes time to pick your carbs have a.chat with someone that sets up carbs on race/rally cars and see what they recommend.

Either way I'm interested to see how you do it. :thumpsup:
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
A112H

Post by A112H »

Mine currently runs 48mm Dellortos and has a good idle, considering the cam, and pretty smooth through out the range, but does love flat chat :@
simon

Post by simon »

hi
my LA will probably do very little if any normal road driving

I'm a bit concerned whether there is enough room for the carbies between dohc head and strut tower

I am still after information on ignition configuration if I am not using a computer

Simon
caboonatlarge

Post by caboonatlarge »

Im doing a similar build with an AMG DOHC 4g63 and quad R1 bike carbs in my lancer. If you can get a small port head it will be much better than the large port vr4 style heads.

Why not just use a complete DOHC engine? No having to worry with changing pistons. pulleys and the timing gear etc.

In regards to the ignition, im going with a megajolt set up using edis and VR4 coil pack.
simon

Post by simon »

hi
Thanks for the info
I'm wondering why you suggested a small port head rather than a larger port head?
Simon
dwlee

Post by dwlee »

Small port head will have better inlet flow velocity give better cylinder filling at lower engine revs resulting in better lower rev torque. The smaller ports also have better approach to the valves meaning better flow on the short radius side of the valves. The result is a much better, low rev engine that flows only slightly less than a the big port head at high revs.
simon

Post by simon »

Thanks for that, it is good to know

Regards Simon
caboonatlarge

Post by caboonatlarge »

What dwlee said.

Ive got a ported big port AMG with 55mm throttles and yeah, its shit round town under about 5000rpm.So im building up a small port now, they are far far better.The other advantage with the small port head is that you can just bolt on the later model EVO intake mani etc and it all points the right way for rwd.
simon

Post by simon »

To avoid the hassles with carbies and having to make extractors, I was wondering if I could put a turbo on it, and use the efi - prabably with bigger injectors?
I am wondering how much boost the standard n/a motor would handle?
I am assuming I would need an anti knock control or a turbo ecu. - Does this all make sense or wouldn't it work?
I am wondering about this being a low cost shorter term engine and maybe doing a better engine long term :\

Simon
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

It won't like boost without decompressed pistons (may get away with boost up to 6psi) and it will end up costing dumb money to build a turbo engine. You'd be better off buying a Starion engine and getting all the related wiring and ECI to run it. Why would you have hassles getting exhaust headers for the 4G63? L200/300's have headers factory fitted to them. If you want to go for a budget upgrade check the site for members who are using the 34 ADM Weber downdraft carbies as a replacement for the factory Mikunis. I have heard praise for the 34 ADM when they're tuned properly...
simon

Post by simon »

Hi, sorry i forgot to add that i now have a G67 that i was going to use the head of to put on my 4G63. I would like to know about adding a turbo to the 4G67 , that is D0HC and EFI.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

simon wrote:Thanks very much for the info and link. I can spend a bit of time reading it and exploring my options.
We used to run 48 DCOEs on our 4G52s and 4G54 rally cars. Can you see any other major problems with my plan?

Regards Simon
Simon theres nothing wrong with old school performance - and Italy do make great carbs ,they both work well and would look a lot flasher than a set of electic water pistols in the manifold
as for a box of sparks ,there will be options but probably the easiest would be to run some form of after market computor to run the coil packs

there are quite a few ways from S/H aftermarket ECUs or maybe even looking at megasquirt
having an ECU to control your spark gives some very nice options of spark control ,

you probably need a nerd like Superscan111 to butt in here he would more than likely think of an ECU option
cheater
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

simon wrote:To avoid the hassles with carbies and having to make extractors, I was wondering if I could put a turbo on it, and use the efi - prabably with bigger injectors?
I am wondering how much boost the standard n/a motor would handle?
I am assuming I would need an anti knock control or a turbo ecu. - Does this all make sense or wouldn't it work?
I am wondering about this being a low cost shorter term engine and maybe doing a better engine long term :\

Simon
Im running 10psi in a NA 4g63 6bolt (175rwkw) and plan to up the boost in the next few months when i get a re-tune. I have some JE forged pistons to go in but wont do that till i pop the motor. See how it goes.
Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.