Bloody carbies...

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
mr_sikma

Bloody carbies...

Post by mr_sikma »

Hey guys,

I recently picked up a GJ Sigma with the 2.6 Astron 1.

When I got it RAA for some reason moved the dissy and it was idling really high and running on after being switched off!

I got the local mechanic to have a quick look and they sorted out the timing and idle problem but still having a few issues on the carby side of things?

If I sit at the lights and let it idle for a bit it fuels up and I need to rev the car before it will take off causing a lot of black smoke!
The other problem I'm having is if I accelerate past about 1/2 throttle, I'm guessing when the secondaries open it seems to run really rich and black smoke comes out again!

It caused the car to backfire today and blow a decent sized hole in the rear muffler!

The car starts fine and runs well driving normally but does have a slight low idle!

Would it be as easy as the idle / mixture screws on the carby?

I'm changing plugs, leads, oil & filter tomorrow.

Thanks
Looking for a GE or GH Sigma in Adelaide... PM me :)
damian

Re: Bloody carbies...

Post by damian »

got a rebuilt carby for a GH 2.6 we were gunna throw away, but decided to keep it in case someone on the forums wanted one

wont be able to get it to you for a few weeks however
BAC013

Post by BAC013 »

I had a similar issue a while ago with the coil and carby, it turned out the O ring in the carby had worn out causing the carby to flood with fuel and cause idle issues, so it might be a case of checking the O ring aswell as a service on the carby it self.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

If you let the car sit and idle for a bit, does it eventually die? As in get too much fuel and cut out?

If so I'd be pulling the top of the carby off & checking the float level, check the float doesn't have any fuel inside it & Check the needle valve.

As for the secondaries, check all passages are free from obstruction.

If you don't have one already, get your hands on a Gregories manual.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
mr_sikma

Post by mr_sikma »

Thanks for all the replies...

It ended up being a choke problem as it would just stay shut and wouldn't open when warm!

Also noticed the fuel pump dripping petrol as well but it's all sorted now!
Looking for a GE or GH Sigma in Adelaide... PM me :)