2.6 Cam profile

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
DragonCypher

2.6 Cam profile

Post by DragonCypher »

Could someone give me the factory specs of an astron 2.6 camshaft?

Or even specs of an aftermarket one with the result of that profile.

I'm having one custom made cheaply by my tafe teacher, Dean Tighe from Tighe Cams.. and he just needs some background information to start off with..

I'm only wanting to produce power up to 6,000rpm.. the old magna engine never got passed 4,500 even in neutral or 1st gear.. sometimes 2nd could get 4,800 if I was lucky :P

But yeah, moreso just wanting it to rev up quicker and 6,000 is by no means going to hurt an otherwise stock motor.

And for the record, I might be downgrading to an Astron 1 with a borgy box but keeping the webers and the exhaust :twisted: .. figured its a good opportunity to freshen it up a bit

Cheers.

[Edit]: almost forgot.. do I need to remove the head to change the cam? because I hear you shouldn't reuse head bolts when the head's aluminium
Just one more thing I can add to my shopping list before the swap over
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

Billsy

Re: 2.6 Cam profile

Post by Billsy »

not sure why you would have issues revving to 6 in neutral, there must be something wrong. but under load ive never had a stock 2.6 feel like it wants to rev past 5 without a cam or a dirty big turbo hanging off it

im driving a stock auto GK atm, and that wont let the engine rev past about 4800 when you floor it, which suits it well as its not making much more power up there with the stock setup.

ive had a stage 3 cam back when i was running Non turbo EFI, that brought the useable power range to about 6k, and would rev well to around 7 if you got carried away :lol: . it had a bit of a lump to it aswell :)

i saw something relating back to the US stazza boys whod worked out that the V6 roller rockers and a flat tappet cam was like a free cam upgrade.
have a search through the old site and you will find it, it was only recently
Insert witty one liner here -->
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Crow Mild street cam.

IN. 18/54
EX.54/18

Duration 252

.075" Duration 204

Valve lift 0.454"

Rev range 2000 / 5800
stealth

Post by stealth »

personaly i wouldnt use a tighe cam (been down that road what a waste of cash)
come to think of it i wouldnt use one if ivan tighe himself paid me
just buy a cam from crow or i use camtech if im try to be tight
the best cams on the market a crower and or comp cams
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

DragonCypher wrote:
Or even specs of an aftermarket one with the result of that profile.

I'm having one custom made cheaply by my tafe teacher, Dean Tighe from Tighe Cams.. and he just needs some background information to start off with..

I'm only wanting to produce power up to 6,000rpm.. the old magna engine never got passed 4,500 even in neutral or 1st gear.. sometimes 2nd could get 4,800 if I was lucky :P

But yeah, moreso just wanting it to rev up quicker and 6,000 is by no means going to hurt an otherwise stock motor.

And for the record, I might be downgrading to an Astron 1 with a borgy box but keeping the webers and the exhaust :twisted: .. figured its a good opportunity to freshen it up a bit

Cheers.

[Edit]: almost forgot.. do I need to remove the head to change the cam? because I hear you shouldn't reuse head bolts when the head's aluminium
Just one more thing I can add to my shopping list before the swap over
if its any help
my engine produced it max power at 6100 rpm
cam spec 45 / 71 in 85 / 45 ex with 267 deg at 0.050 and 0.471 valve lift
but use a better head than an astron 1
a ported magna head will give you better results
and I'm not sure what size webers you have but if they are 45s get the biggest chokes you can - I machined up 41 mm chokes for mine they are still to small

the new cam should max the power around the 6700 - it a 317 deg adv with 274 @ 0.050 and 0.480 valve lift

the other thing if you wont the engine to rev up quicker is to get some weight out of the rotating mass - the cranks and flywheels are very heavy in these things
stealth wrote:personaly i wouldnt use a tighe cam (been down that road what a waste of cash)
cheers stealth 8-)
must say I've never used there products ether I had heard they were pricey my cam guy charges about $ 220 for a new billit cam
cheater
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

TUFSIG wrote:man i must have a freak 2.6 in my new gsr it revs past 6 lol
ok mine pulls 7200 at the end of sandown front strait in 4th ( 201 ks by my gear calc )
do I win the pissing comp
cheater
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

stealth wrote:personaly i wouldnt use a tighe cam (been down that road what a waste of cash)
cheers stealth 8-)
I find this a little interesting.. Never met Ivan but Dean Tighe, his son is one of my 3 Tafe teachers. Best one of the lot and a great guy.
Making the cam himself and he's helping me clean up and install the engine next wednesday, not sure how much he's gonna want but said it'd be less than $100 since he's making it for a friend.

Also cheater:
The webers are twin 40DCOE's as seen in my signature.. never ran a choke although i probably should.

And with the head, I could get another magna head if it was simple enough to keep the solid tappets and that, because I don't want the hydraulics anymore. Otherwise it'd probably be better just rebuilding the AstrI that it'll have.
Still plan on making a supercharger kit before I finish tafe, so I probably dont need to do too much work on it besides just freshen up and strengthen some things

Cheers for all the info so far
Chris
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

DragonCypher wrote: Also cheater:
The webers are twin 40DCOE's as seen in my signature.. never ran a choke although i probably should.
chokes are the removable venturis in a dcoe with your 40 mm the biggest you can use is 37 mm and are quite small for a 2.6 its something that you would use on a 1.6 to a 2 Lt
DragonCypher wrote: And with the head, I could get another magna head if it was simple enough to keep the solid tappets and that, because I don't want the hydraulics anymore. Otherwise it'd probably be better just rebuilding the AstrI that it'll have.
Still plan on making a supercharger kit before I finish tafe, so I probably dont need to do too much work on it besides just freshen up and strengthen some things
Chris
just use the solids on a magna head I do - just remove all the hyd rockers off keep the posts in order and reassemble using the solid rockers ( makes sure the posts you use are the ones that come with the head and are in the same order as the cam bearing bores maynot line up perfect if the wrong posts are used )

DragonCypher wrote: Never met Ivan but Dean Tighe, his son is one of my 3 Tafe teachers. Best one of the lot and a great guy.
what are you doing at tafe
cheater
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

The course is called Motorsport, Cert III, IV and Diploma

Its just all the basics of mechanics as well as welding, fabrication, operating in motorsport environments etc.
I started like 6-7 weeks ago so I'm doing Cert III and Dean is (currently) teaching us fasteners (thread tapping, identifying, bolt strengths, uses, sizes, washers, nuts.. all that shizzle) and oxy welding, and lathing.

Its a good course in theory.. but for what it is its extremely un-organised
There tends to be lots of standing around doing nothing, and half the time the teachers don't know what class they're supposed to be teaching

Only other place for this course is in Victoria (can't remember where) but thats the big one down there which has been around many more years.

Back to the choke idea.. is it worth bothering then if they were designed for smaller engines?
and If I'm going to be supercharging then I could probably get away with much smaller carbs than it has anyway.

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

DragonCypher wrote:The course is called Motorsport, Cert III, IV and Diploma
Its just all the basics of mechanics as well as welding, fabrication, operating in motorsport environments etc.
I started like 6-7 weeks ago so I'm doing Cert III and Dean is (currently) teaching us fasteners (thread tapping, identifying, bolt strengths, uses, sizes, washers, nuts.. all that shizzle) and oxy welding, and lathing.

Only other place for this course is in Victoria (can't remember where) but thats the big one down there which has been around many more years.
I wonder how you would get a job teaching this - sounds and easy course to teach
DragonCypher wrote:
Back to the choke idea.. is it worth bothering then if they were designed for smaller engines?
and If I'm going to be supercharging then I could probably get away with much smaller carbs than it has anyway.
if you are going to S/Charge you would be running through multi point fuel injection wouldn't you
cheater
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

cheaterparts wrote: I wonder how you would get a job teaching this - sounds and easy course to teach
You could contact the tafe and find out if you want, Dean only started this year because Doug Patterson (last name?) retired last year

cheaterparts wrote: if you are going to S/Charge you would be running through multi point fuel injection wouldn't you
I was thinking more like a custom ~3L plennum chamber with a wastegate or something similar to regulate boost, sitting at the front of the webers in place of the air filters.. with the supercharger blowing into it

But it's still in the idea phase, so I haven't worked out the fuel supply issue.
Figured an electric pump to match the boost psi just in place of the mechanical one should do it though
Webers are factory suited to <14psi, or 1 bar.. won't be going over 10 until they are rebuilt specifically for boost though

stealth

Post by stealth »

i got offered that job at the tafe out your way a couple off years ago
didnt take it as the job im doing is better and tafe teachers earn f all
chris your lucky that thay run these coarses these days when i got my apprenticeship
you had to be related or know someone pretty well to get into racing industry
ive been doing this s--t now for 18years and no regrets
ps i hope you dont like spare time
cheers stealth 8-)