mukini solex carb issues

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
VGJONO

mukini solex carb issues

Post by VGJONO »

Hey everyone
so i just rebuilt the carby off of my 4G32 Galant but she is idling quite high, we have tried adjusting the idle but the screw which we are adjusting is not doing anything although in a diagram i found on this site it shows it as the idle speed adjustment screw??

What could be the issue?
Last edited by VGJONO on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
75wagon
Admin

Re: mukini solex carb idle issues

Post by 75wagon »

Ignore the fact this is a twin carb diagram. But you are referring to part number 26?

As long as you have put it back together correctly, there are only 2 adjustments.
Idle speed and mixture.
To adjust the mixture screw, lower the idle as much as possible. Adjust the idle mixture screw in and out until the smoothest idle is achieved. 1 1/2 turns out is a good base to start from.

Could your problem be your auto choke settings? (the pics above don't have an auto choke, as the twin carbs had a manual choke set up).
While it's idling too high, is the butterfly on the choke fully open?

Other things to check:
vacuum leak- make sure your manifold and carb base bolts are securely tightened.
throttle cable- make sure it's got some slack (if it's too tight it's the same as having your foot on the accelerator)
operation- make sure the carb linkages all move free and don't bind.

I know some of this stuff sounds pretty basic, but I thought it better to cover all bases from the start.

Quick question:
You did put the ball check valve and weight back in didn't you? And in the right order? Ball first weight second.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Alright, so i have a new question that i guess can go in this thread. ive been having issues with HEAVY fuel usage from my 4G32 and mukini carb, so today i had an idea, of which was to check the jets on the carby, now what i was sure was my primary looks like and almost straight through hole in the jet while what i think is my secondary is tighter than a flies ass. so me being a do stuff first ask questions later kind of person, i switched them, and obviously fucked something :facepalm: my question is, does this sound right at all with the primary being way bigger than the secondary?
and what are the correct jet sizes?

Cheers
VGJONO
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Have a look at this topic http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=2655 most of it applies to the single carb as well.

This will answer you're question though.

And what it all means?

Primary jetsize: 0.95mm
Secondary jet size: 1.9mm
They should be stamped with the correct size.

Now, as for playing with the carb, and switching jets around. There are 3 jets per circuit (primary and secondary circuit). They all need to match for the circuit to work properly.
For anyone who's curious, factory jetting of twin carbs is the same as the jetting for the 1300 (4G30), the 1400 (4G33) and the 1600 (4G32) are jetted the same.

Did this help?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Thanks 75Wagon, im pretty sure the 1.9mm jet was in the primary which caused the car to drink fuel like an alcoholic, since switching them and revising of which way the needle goes back in :facepalm: (im an idiot) the car is running the best it ever has. i used to have issues with spluttering at mid revs ect. but all seems good now

Cheers
VGJONO
VGJONO

Re: mukini solex carb issues

Post by VGJONO »

Alright, guess this is as good of a place as any to ask this, but this morning i picked up another solex carb off of another forum member as i am still having all kinds of trouble with mine, now this new one is quite different except for the actual body itself, but anyways ill stat off with my original carby's issue

Original issue:
So since swapping the jets over ect. ive been getting about 400-500klm per tank which is much better than the 200klm i was getting, but even though there was such improvement not all is good, i still have idle issues, now the idle is very irratic, i can drive the car for about 10 minutes park somewhere and it idles high and near launches when i put it into gear, then i will drive another 5-10 minutes or so and pull up and it will be idling okish, then after another drive back again, i am also having terrible issues with it running on when i try to turn it off. aswell as a fluxuating idle when i first start it sometimes, i will start it and walk away to open the gate in our driveway and by the time i get back its rapidly dropping then rising a few hundred rpm. it also is leaking water which could be the cause of alot of these problems

So i decided to go with getting another carby to either replace mine or to use as parts, so now im home i notice that this carby while being the same carby is not quite the same.

Original vs second hand pics (sorry for the bad phone quality pics)

Im probably going to pull this carby apart this afternoon and clean it out and whack it on and see how it goes, cant be much worse than what i already have :P but i have concerns about running the water pipes, will this carby fit up to my car? or will i have to swap the manifold aswell

Cheers
VGJONO
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I haven't seen one like what is fitted to your car (just going by the pics showing is fitted).

The one in the pics not fitted looks like a standard Australian issue carb, you shouldn't have too many issues with fitting it.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

yeah i figured something must be up with the carb that was on mine since all the diagrams i was getting looked different.

now im glad i have pulled apart the new carby as there is a fair bit of muck ect. inside (but that was to be expected) so im cleaning it out then it will be put back together then onto my car.

i have one issue though, while pulling the carby apart this small rod fell out of somewhere and i didnt see where it came from

this is where i suspect it may go, but i dont have a clue, this is just a quick guess, anybody know if im on the right track?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

There's a ball bearing that goes in there as well, where did it end up?
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

just checked, from what i can see its still in there :wut: if not the carby thats on the car is spare parts for this one as the core designs are the same, its just the choke and linkage setup that is different
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The part I'm talking about is numbered 18 in this pic

That ball (part 18 or check valve whatever you want to call it) goes under that brass weight that you've shown in your pic.
zabatron

Post by zabatron »

looking at your pics,your original carby has a wax pellet operated automatic choke,and the replacement carby has a bi-metallic spring operated automatic choke(as fitted to early GE Sigmas)...your coolant /water hoses will bolt up to either choke type(just make sure the internal spring is not rusted out inside).Procedure for adjusting both types of automatic choke can be found in factory GE Sigma manual.