high performance ignition question

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
unique10

high performance ignition question

Post by unique10 »

gday again everyone. i wanna ask a question which ive asked to multiple speed and performance parts shops and mechanics which i have not been able to get an answer from.

my car now is currently running 4 individual bosch coil packs off a modified distributor which i believe is now triggered via the ecu. ive been wanting to upgrade them for a while to something a little bit above a factory used coil, msd ice or something of the sort, but have been concerned that they will not work at full performance becuase they will not be used in conjunction with the matching aftermarket distributor and the ignition box that you usually see bolted on firewalls or under dashes. basically can someone just lead me in the right direction? and i really dont wanna take the coil packs off and 'just chuck a distributor back on' as afew people have suggested.

also whilst on the topic, whats the right size leed to use, got some crappy top gun ones now and the inside of one broke off and was making my car run like ass and sound like a wrx. wanna change everything whilst im at it and not wanna have to change it again for a LONG time.

cheers
Superscan811

Re: high performance ignition question

Post by Superscan811 »

If I understand correctly, you just want to swap the coils, correct?

1. Are you running a "wasted spark" system (2 coils are fired at the same time)?
2. Are you wanting to run a CDI system or just High energy coils?

Cheers.
unique10

Post by unique10 »

yeah mate, just want to get rid of the bosch coils and replace them with something better.

from my understanding there fired individually, not 2 at a time. i just want high energy coils. im asking if i was to take off these bosch ones and directly replace them with aftermarket ones, will it make a difference or not. from my understanding it would make the same amount of spark as it is now becuase i do not have the other components, in which case replacing them would be useless.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

unique10 wrote:im asking if i was to take off these bosch ones and directly replace them with aftermarket ones, will it make a difference or not.
If they are High Energy coils, yes it will

BUT

they draw a lot more current.

If your ECU can handle the extra load, all is good. If not, you will have to buy a "Coil Driver", which is basically an electronic relay.

AEM 4 coil driver.
EMS coil drivers.

On the other hand, if you decide to go CDI...

1. Buy a twin CDI unit and go wasted spark (minor wiring mod required)
OR
2. you can buy 2 twin CDI units and just wire them in..

The Dynatek Ignition CDI ARC-2 are nice and have a built in rev limiter..

Cheers.
unique10

Post by unique10 »

ive had a look and found that its running direct fire ignition via 2 haltech hecu2 modules. done a little reading and found this about em.

"The Haltech HECU2 Ignition module is a dual channel ignition module that is suitable for use with all current Haltech and many other ECU's that support ignition control features.

This module is a "Dumb" style ignition module meaning the ECU used must have its own Dwell control, which all Haltech ECUs have. It features built in temperature protection and a maximum current limit of 9 Amps.

This module is suitable for use with 2 x +12V automotive ignition coils and is compatible for use with most common electronic ignition coils used with electronic ignitions. Not suitable for use with points style ignition coils."

now, i think this is something along the lines of what you were telling me i should grab, correct me if im wrong but.

i figure while were on the topic whats the difference between cdi and the coil driver setup you speak of? any significant benefits or is it 2 different things with the same end product?
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

unique10 wrote:whats the difference between cdi and the coil driver setup you speak of? any significant benefits or is it 2 different things with the same end product?
CDI and Coil driver are totally different.

As I said before, the coil driver is just like a fast switching relay. It will switch 12volts at high current, allowing you to run a Hi Energy coil using a standard ignition system. It's a bit like having to use a relay to power a set of spotlights because the standard relay would burn out with the extra current draw.

A CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition) basically pumps between 250-500volts into the primary winding of the coil (instead of 12volts), which means the spark voltage is between 20 to 40 times higher AND most CDI units multi spark up to 3500rpm, which will give you a much better idle and mid-range.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

unique10 wrote:This module is suitable for use with 2 x +12V automotive ignition coils and is compatible for use with most common electronic ignition coils used with electronic ignitions. Not suitable for use with points style ignition coils."

now, i think this is something along the lines of what you were telling me i should grab, correct me if im wrong but.
Correct. Sounds like you already have a set of coil drivers...

BTW: The High Energy coils also boost the OUTPUT spark voltage but to do that, they have to draw a lot more current than a CDI unit.

Cheers.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

The question i have is are you getting spark breakdown?

if your not, then theres very little to be gained by increasing the spark.
you can go CDI, open up the gap and get a few extra HP, but unless your pushing the boundaries or having issues with the current setup theres not alot to be gained.

you can get HE coils and swap them with the ones you have, but you'll have to likely change the dwell to get any benefit from it.
Insert witty one liner here -->
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

Billsy wrote:The question i have is are you getting spark breakdown?
Exactly - Do you plan on running high boost pressures - changing fuel type to e85 / methanol - all benefit from a stronger spark

I run the same 4 coil Bosch setup and have and yet to have any ignition problems.

That said - plan on using ls2 truck coils. Will get rid of the 4 igniters (HECU2 Ignition module in your case) only to clean the bay of a few less wires. But should help the e85 if we ever get it back.

:google: part number "D585"

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360378742776 ... 1423.l2649

http://www.megamanual.com/seq/coils.htm