best turbo for the 2.6

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
unique10

best turbo for the 2.6

Post by unique10 »

gday all, i know theres the other turbo thread on but i dont really speak turbo so i figure ill ask the question and try for a direct answer.

ok, so ive recently pulled all the turbo gear off the galant to get it regestered na on club plates and ive been thinking of booting the t4 off before i start to assemble everything again as its starting to get some shaft play and ive been liking the idea of getting a roller bearing garrett for a while. that and im sick to death of exhaust leaks from crappy craked v-bands.

so the question remains, whats the best turbo to go? as mentioned the car was running a ebay t4 and it dynoed at 186rwkw @ 17psi. engine has forgies and is fully balanced and stuff but as far as work goes its got no head work and its just a turbo grind cam. the dump pipe can/will be changed to suit but its a 3inch exhaust. cars built specifically for track use even though 90% of its life is on the street and any events that are done have only been drag racing so far (pb of 13.2)

had a guy at a turbo place tell me to go a gt3082r as thats the hp range and a good turbo. then had another guy who actually deals with engines in the drift scene tell me something along the lines of gt287something as thats got a good amount of hp for the engine size. i really dunno. why not stick with the t4? whats wrong with that? what should i be looking at?

cheers guys.
A112H

Re: best turbo for the 2.6

Post by A112H »

I think a T25/T28 for hard street use but if you want a track car I would look for a T04Z, maybe a GT35/40

Speak to your local turbo place, tell them what you want and they will give you what you need.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

Silvia turbos are far too small . T3/t4 is ideal, .5 front and either a .62 .82 rear
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
unique10

Post by unique10 »

alright cool, so i know what rear im looking for then, would it be different for a gt3540 to a 3082 or 3076. also whats the main difference if i was to go 3540 compaired to the smaller ones? would it come onto boost later or would like it not have enough hp to turn it (like i said, im a turbo noob) becuase im currently looking at a really cheap gt3540r but it says it to suit a vl and i know they regularly make 300+kw modified so i dont wanna get it if its too big

also, does anybody know much about extreme coating? apparantly its similar to ceremic coating although unlike ceremic coating which is only 3 layers, extreme coating is around 8 and has a black finish. this is what i heard from one exhaust place and when i went down the road to another i was told there both ceremic, just depends on what colour you want - blacks more expensive. anybody know what the hell im being sold here?
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

I think a 35/40 would be too big for a mild turbo setup..

best bet is to ask at www.performanceforums.com
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

picked one of these up so the 35r is a bolt on - http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... y_Code=GTH
here is one on fleebay - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ATP-HOUSING- ... 41617d64c3 - my fleebay one cost me $90+post as well.

v-bands - have ya turbo guy machine a grove in the exhaust housing v-band - and a matching one on the dump pipe flange - like this.
FunkyP

Post by FunkyP »

T4 works just fine. It allows the big 4 to breathe.

But if you go T3, go with a .7-.8 ar turbine housing.

Look into precision turbos. How much do you WANT to spend?

For a STREET/Strip setup, Id look into a high 50mm compressor inducer (GT30/PTE58) or Holset HX35

For a Street/STRIP setup, look into the 60mm inducer and up range (SC62/SC61/GT35 up to a GT40) The larger you go, the less fun on the street.

Any of these will put you in the 250kw range and up with around 20psi
G54B/R154/MSX/SC60/11.2@120mph
unique10

Post by unique10 »

thanks funkyp, thats the sorta stuff im trying to work out. price wise im willing to spend up to 2k if i need to, although thats why im asking 101 stupid/annoying questions becuase for that much i wanna get it spot on. would it be bad to want to go specifically for garrett? also when you say street/strip, what does circuit fall under? becuase once its setup now i will be doing afew motorkhanas and once my clubs wakes up a little, some work around winton. if its the same turbo setup as 'strip' becuase the car will be reving constantly and hard then good, but if not what am i looking for?

also should have noted that the turbo ive just taken off is a t04, just incase thats any different to what i already said :\

turbosigma, ive already got the vband setup on the car now. not a fan, i find that with the constant heating and cooling of the exhast system these break real easily, and im not keen to spend another $64 bucks on another clamp again...and again
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

In my opinion your best bet would be a turbonetics 60-1 hi-fi as it will bolt straight onto you original exhaust manifold aswell as being t04b frame so all your original bits will bolt up and is rated at close to 600hp. The best place to get it from is Treadstone performance in the states and you should be able to land it here for under $850 to your doorstep. If I were to set another car up for the street this is what I would use.

cheers Mic
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I'd say go the Turbonetics T76. Someone has attached one to a 4G54 and got 800HP from it.
FunkyP

Post by FunkyP »

Willing to spend that much cash, than go ballbearing. Road Course, Go with a GT3076R. Quick spool for in and out of twisties with plenty of power for low 12sec 1/4mi
Well, in your car probably 11's
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

is a t28 really to small? thats what i want to chuck on mine. ive already got the t28 but is there a problem with running the t28 for up to 10psi of boost? or is it only to small because you wouldnt get much more then that?
leoca64

Post by leoca64 »

So whats a good upgrade for a Widebody starion 2.6 engine ...using the stock exhaust but multipoint injection manifold??.
FunkyP

Post by FunkyP »

depends on what you want. a T28 at 10psi might get you 180whp