Flange gasket

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Shitjas31

Flange gasket

Post by Shitjas31 »

Is the gasket between the bottom of the catalytic converter and the start of the exhaust pipe isnt it? Or should I really be leaving all car repairs to the experts haha
1986 GN Sigma 'high roof' station wagon.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Flange gasket

Post by astronturbo77 »

you would hope there would be a gasket in there, unless you like massy ferguson's? what sort of car? no early mistubishi's had catalytic convertors..
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Some did astronturbo77, I had a LA Coupe that had a cat connected directly to the manifold. I was a weird manifold that looked sort of like a turbo manifold and had 4 bolt go right through it and held the cat on.
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

A112H wrote:Some did astronturbo77, I had a LA Coupe that had a cat connected directly to the manifold. I was a weird manifold that looked sort of like a turbo manifold and had 4 bolt go right through it and held the cat on.
wouldnt have been the stock exhaust/engine though.
woops

Post by woops »

The GN Sigma from 86 on had a cat incorporated into the exhaust manifold. And to answer you question, I'm assuming you have a 86 sigma according to your signature, the cat has a gasket between the exhaust manifold a the cat but has one of those ring exhaust seals, not a gasket, on the base of the cat before the exhaust system. I've seen them at supercheap and they aren't expensive. Although i expeck if you still have teh standard cat it's well beyond it's use by date. I seriously doubt you could get a new one if you really wanted but unless you are concerned about emissions or need it for rego I wouldn't be too worried.

Here is a pic of the type of manifold I'm talking about. The cat is pretty unusual and you can see why they don't make them like this any more even if it is actually more effective being so close to the exhaust system.

'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
A112H

Post by A112H »

astronturbo77 wrote:
A112H wrote:Some did astronturbo77, I had a LA Coupe that had a cat connected directly to the manifold. I was a weird manifold that looked sort of like a turbo manifold and had 4 bolt go right through it and held the cat on.
wouldnt have been the stock exhaust/engine though.
I was pretty sure it was a stock 4G32, maybe not. It was about 20 years ago but it deffinately had a cat. Very similar to the Sigma one pictured above. I will google for a pic :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think it was similar to the first one but didn't have the O2 sensor.

This is exactly what it looked like, the manifold that is, unfortunately it wasn't a twin cam, lol

Those 4 holes in the manifold had long bolts go through the manifold and into the cat convertor
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Unleaded colts have this god awful set up too. Good chance they share the same gaskets...
Shitjas31

Post by Shitjas31 »

thanks for your replies everyone! loving the knowledge you guys are willing to give out, helps a rookie like me learn a lot!

the photo that Woops posted is exactly what my manifold looks like. sprint kept giving me a gasket with two holes saying it was the correct one, until i went home and took a photo of the join. despite knowing the 86 gn was the first with unleaded petrol they didnt consider the cat. after all that it turned out that woops was correct with the ring seal instead of the gasket. waste of $4!
1986 GN Sigma 'high roof' station wagon.
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

A112H wrote:I think it was similar to the first one but didn't have the O2 sensor.

This is exactly what it looked like, the manifold that is, unfortunately it wasn't a twin cam, lol

Those 4 holes in the manifold had long bolts go through the manifold and into the cat convertor
It wasnt the factory engine then, trust me.
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

my cordia turbo one is like the one in the pic above
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door