gear reduction starter motor

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
ghuphill

gear reduction starter motor

Post by ghuphill »

is there a diffrence between wide and narrow block starter motors for the 2ltr sigmas ,also are there any good after market gear reduction starter motors any one has used or recomend ive seen some on ebay but thought i would ask first.
scorpioncollector

Re: gear reduction starter motor

Post by scorpioncollector »

2ltr/2.6ltr starter the same. Wide or narrow. Have large variety of all, including reduction type
swings motors over real easy. Especially ones with little more compression than normal.
Last edited by scorpioncollector on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ghuphill

Post by ghuphill »

no problem ,thanks.
gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

Can use Magna starter, but it fouls the engine mount :(
I clearanced the mount and it works well.

cheers
Gaz
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI
robbert

Post by robbert »

Sigma auto is 8 tooth and manual is 9. And TS magna reduction starters throw out to far and will miss the flywheel most of the time.

I'm on my 5th starter in 20k km's and still looking for one that works. My head is getting sore from banging it on the wall.
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

I do have a starter motor that is apparently geared down and a 'high torque' for hi-comp engines. Couldnt tell u what its off caus got it when i got the car, but it lookes exactly the same as the one from my Galant (and it fits too). I did think it was from a magna though???

Sorry not much help.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

robbert wrote:Sigma auto is 8 tooth and manual is 9. And TS magna reduction starters throw out to far and will miss the flywheel most of the time.

I'm on my 5th starter in 20k km's and still looking for one that works. My head is getting sore from banging it on the wall.
I'd guess there may be something wrong with your ring gear because I've been using the same geared reduction TR Magna starter motor on my widebloock engine, using both a standard sigma and starion flywheel, for at least 2 years.
Zero problems.

Cheers.
RuffDiamond

Post by RuffDiamond »

Worst case scenario you may have to modify something fit. My friend and i did that once on my old daihatsu, using a newer daihatsu armature with the old cog and old housing. It looked dodgy as hell but it lasted longer than the car did :)..........
brendon

Post by brendon »

my auto elec mentioned a hyundia starter whic bolts up to astrons an is a great upgrade.
can't remember specifics atm
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory