Engine Rebuild

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
GC75
Admin

Engine Rebuild

Post by GC75 »

Ok guys looking at rebuilding the sigma engine as im down in compression in 2+3 expected valves?

My problem is i've asked a few shops down this way that do 'rebuilding' apparently they don't assemble down here...

i have been quoted $1500 for a standard rebuild although they won't assemble nothing except head and crank etc...

just wondering how much a rebuild is expected to cost, or where people have gone to get done, im willing to courier the engine for a reliable build... ive been warned of a bussiness down here and would like a good build since im going to pay around 2-2.5k for it.

I have been quoted $3500 for my engine rebuilt with hyper pistons among other stuff that isn't quite as standard.

What should i look at getting if running Twin carbs??

i have a scorpion block and sigma head, i want to keep the block as its stronger so im told, and has been a better engine then the sigma ones i find...

also balance shaft removal, cam, new dizzy etc??

halllppp haha, may i also remind you all ive never rebuilt and engine or have the knowledge how haha
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
A112H

Re: Engine Rebuild (please help)

Post by A112H »

I reckon pull the head and see whats wrong, if it is just a gasket, chuck a new one on it and away ya go. If it is the valve find a good 2.0 head, new gasket and away ya go.
Get Mick to give you a hand.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

knowing my luck id fix the head then the bottom end will go, then least i know its done, then i only gotta worry about panel work/rust/acyrlic then can turbo on full licence.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

GC75 wrote:Ok guys looking at rebuilding the sigma engine as im down in compression in 2+3 expected valves?
did you do a comp test ? then did you do a comp test with a couple of squirts of oil down the plug hole ?
that would tell you if it was rings or valves to start with
cheater
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

if you have to worry about how much its gonna cost then you cant afford it.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

@ cheater - done comp test at the shop when carbs were being rebuilt, and he didnt squirt oil. He just expected it 'was' the valves. Thanks for the info. :thumpsup:

@ astronturbo77 - well no that isn't the case, im adding things up... as the quotes i have got have been quite expensive compared to other quotes ive found here. Also was looking at buying a newer car as a reliable daily.

also quote superscan:
Build your own, at least that way you know what is going into it.

Cheap build would be about $1500
New ACL pistons and rings.
Bore, hone and deck the block.
Linish/regrind crank.
Re-seat valves and skim the head.
New bearings.
New timing chain and gears.

The High Compression and turbo engines I'm currently building are only going to cost me around $2000 each and that includes forged pistons.
That's because I'm doing most of the labor intensive work myself AND over time, I've bought a lot of cheap stuff through EBay.

Cheers.
So $1500, how much am i looking at for assembley roughly, just looking at what i should be paying... or where i should go to with someone who has previous exp with having there engine rebuilt by particular people... as i said this town doesnt do a whole lot.. id rather pay someone to do it and get a warranty engine or something... theres one bloke in town but i have to wait a month.
amgis_obrut

Re: Engine Rebuild

Post by amgis_obrut »

you'd do a V6 conversion and have change from $3500

give apm a call, they machine and assemble

or

Bob Bridge in nowra

or

Jack Croft in Tommerong

oh btw you wont get a warranty on a modified engine
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Putting an astron together aint rocket science. Just saying.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

Cheers mick, and karl hate playing with engines haha :thumpsup: dirty things lol