cold air intake idea.....would this work???

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

cold air intake idea.....would this work???

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Ok so im no engineer (thought I should state that right from the go) and am serious, and am not after a wank factor.

Was tinkering in my garage last night with my new fuel pump setup and looked up at the intercooler that i obtained as part of a car i bought. My air filter was sitting next to it and I thought.....could an intercooler be used for the simple purpose of cold air intake...ie filter on one end, through intercooler into throttle body???

I am not after a wank factor of having a big intercooler on the front as they can be cop magnets and I do know that intercoolers are for cooling exhaust gas before they go into the throttlebody, but would it cool the air any more?

Would the air flowing through the intercooler be cooled any more with wind chill factor?

Just a thought........

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
A112H

Re: cold air intake idea.....would this work???

Post by A112H »

I would think the intercooler would create way to much resistance and choke the engine. In a turbo application the air is forced through the cooler by the turbo, I don't think a N/A would make enough vacuum to draw air through a coola'
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

That was another issue I thought of....have seen those cheep/crappy (apparently turbo like) fans on ebay, or some sort of fan to force air through......
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think this sort of fan should force the air through perfectly ;-)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GT35-GT3582- ... 1c191c4c48
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

current condition of the engine....this might actually blow it up haha
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Don't do it (it simply won't work). If you can duct some clean air from the front of the car directly towards your air filter it will be way better than the filter sucking hot air from inside the engine bay (you've seen it done - put the filter inside a shroud to keep it separate from the rest of the engine bay). Once I made an impellor that sat inside the throat of a carby I did a full house rebuild on (the air passing around it forced it to spin, creating an air vortex inside the venturis).
woops

Post by woops »

To answer your question simply, the intercooler won't work in a N/A application at all and the small electric fans do not flow anywhere near enough to be of any use at all.

The intercooler only works on a turbo application because the compressed air out from the intake side of the turbo is much hotter than the air that entered the turbo. The act of compressing air makes the air hotter by the Ideal Gas Laws.

Also the electric turbos would require far too much electricity to be work on a car engine and you would need a very large alternator to compensate. So basically you would have engine power converted to electricity then use the electricty to compress the air. And in these two energy transforms you have a large amount of losses. Turbos work my using "waste" exhaust energy to compresses air directly and the superchargers just draw some energy from the engine to make more power from additional air flow.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
woops

Post by woops »

geezer101 wrote:Don't do it (it simply won't work). If you can duct some clean air from the front of the car directly towards your air filter it will be way better than the filter sucking hot air from inside the engine bay (you've seen it done - put the filter inside a shroud to keep it separate from the rest of the engine bay). Once I made an impellor that sat inside the throat of a carby I did a full house rebuild on (the air passing around it forced it to spin, creating an air vortex inside the venturis).
Agreed, cold air induction is a much better option. Also did you actually find a measurable improvement of the air vortex in the carby. Usually something like that i would say would only restrict the air. The only benifit i could see is a better mixing of the fuel with the air which would improve the atomisation of the fuel.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

That's exactly what it did. Got an improvement on fuel economy, felt like it improved response during gear changes (when I was flogging it!)
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

No worries guys....like i said, was just throwing ideas around.
Might bother with the cold air intake when i put the 2L motor in it....dont try talk me into a 2.6L as i have a race spec 2L that puts out heaps of power.

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
A112H

Post by A112H »

i have a race spec 2L that puts out heaps of power.
Thats like spending money on a 302 or 253 just to get the power a mildly worked 351 or 308 would make.
If the same money was spent on a 2.6 as what was spent on a 2.0 I would have to assume the 2.6 would make a good 15% more power.
But I gotta say I am a fan of using what ya got :)
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

This one has already had all the work done to it, just needs new rings and set to go :D

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"