Worked motors

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
2Lgalant

Worked motors

Post by 2Lgalant »

Hey guys I've got a 2 litre astron and am going to do some work on it it's going to have twin side draught solex carbs on it so thought I'd ask and see what all you guys have done and if any of you have any suggestions on what I should do to make a cheap but powerful engine would love to know how to do it cheers will love to hear what you guys have
Superscan811

Re: Worked motors

Post by Superscan811 »

2Lgalant wrote:....suggestions on what I should do to make a cheap but powerful engine....
The issue here is how much are you wanting to spend, how much are you prepared/able to do yourself, and how much gain are you expecting?

Using an Astron 1 head (48cc chamber) will bump up the compression on an Astron 2 block (flat top pistons) to around 12:1 which is good to make some more power BUT you will need to use premium petrol and probably need to re-curve the dizzy. The issue with using these heads is the small valves and ports of the Astron 1 head will limit the amount of gain.

The TS Magna EFI setup will give you a significant gain on the standard sigma setup, from memory, the standard 2.6L Sigma setup is around 84kw at the flywheel but the TS Magna 2.6L EFI is 110kw, which is a 30% gain.

My current engine build came to around $1000 and to me, this was relatively cheap.

I'm not expecting to race Rotaries, V8's, Porsche's, EVO's or even WRX's, but I do expect to give those Charade's and Cordia's a run for their money with this engine . :D

Most of the parts I have bought cheaply off EBay.
Pistons and rings $35
Stainless steel 1mm OS valves $60
Bronze Valve Guides $60
Bearings $100
Engine Gasket kit $100
Silicon sealant $20
Moly Grease $20
Etc,etc....

I paid someone else to do the boring, honing, decking of the block and for the valve work (remove and install valve guides and cut the seats) along with skimming the head 1mm. All this came to around $400 (for the labor only).

I'll be using my existing headders and Quad motorbike carb setup, but even with this, I don't expect to go over the 120kw at the flywheel.

This engine is really just a solid daily drive engine, with a bit more attention paid to the details.

I hope this gives you a bit of an idea of what to expect.

Cheers.
ddt

Post by ddt »

Using an Astron 1 head (48cc chamber) will bump up the compression on an Astron 2 block (flat top pistons) to around 12:1 which is good to make some more power BUT you will need to use premium petrol and probably need to re-curve the dizzy. The issue with using these heads is the small valves and ports of the Astron 1 head will limit the amount of gain.
are the heads on later 4G52s different?
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Sorry for OT, but in my experience, "Cheap" and "Powerful" shouldnt be used in the same sentence. :D
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

tandanus wrote:Sorry for OT, but in my experience, "Cheap" and "Powerful" shouldnt be used in the same sentence. :D
T.
I believe the old saying goes:

Cheap
Powerful
Reliable

Choose any 2.

Cheers.
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

By cheap I ment $1500 to $2000 don't want to go over bored and spend like $4000 on something stupid just something reasonably cheap but yet want mote go with it ( and $35 for piston and rings omg where can I buy them from ha ha didn't think you could get the that cheap
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

2Lgalant wrote:By cheap I ment $1500 to $2000
For a non turbo build, and doing a lot of the fiddly work yourself, including putting it together, you should get a very strong, reliable engine.

Bottom end rebuild.
Zero deck the pistons.
M7 head refresh with 2mm shaved off, this should bring the compression to around 10:1.
Starion flywheel (and possibly lighten it a bit).
Balance the rods, pistons, flywheel and clutch pressure plate.
Mild cam.
Balance shaft elimination.
Cheater vernier drilled cam gear.
New Grade A timing chain.
Engine Gasket kit.
A "clean room" to assemble the engine and give yourself plenty of time to do it properly.
The No:1 rule - If in doubt, ASK first.

BTW: This is my first true engine build where I not only call the shots, I'm actually assembling it as well.
I've made a few minor judgment errors but have been able to work around them (ie: 1mm off the deck was too much, the pistons would be too close the the cylinder head, so I just modified the head a little to compensate).

It's all a learning game and the best way to learn is from OTHER PEOPLES MISTAKES, rather than your own. :D

Don't be afraid to ask, even if you think it's a stupid question.

PS: The $35 ACL Duralite pistons I won on EBAY.

Cheers.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

2Lgalant wrote:Hey guys I've got a 2 litre astron and am going to do some work on it it's going to have twin side draught solex carbs on it so thought I'd ask and see what all you guys have done and if any of you have any suggestions on what I should do to make a cheap but powerful engine would love to know how to do it cheers will love to hear what you guys have
after reading though this thread most of the info was given for a 2.6 not a 2 lt

forget magna heads on a 2 lt they can be made to work but its not straight forward

I had a 2 lt when I first built my sigma hillclimb car so from memory - cam I used was a 35/75 and it could have done with a bit more cam - some crow double valve springs were used
I used 45 mm webers with 37 mm chokes ( sorry can't remember the jetting )
I lifted the comp to 10.5 : 1
gave the ports a lick and had a 3 angle cut done to the seats and made sure the seats where right out on the outer edge of the valve
I lighted the flywheel - dumped the balance shafts and fitted a custom made set of headers

and yes it was a cheap engine build at the time so apart from the webers the engine cost no more that about $ 400 to build
I did all the work myself including the headers

this made 84 Kw atw which wasn't bad for a very basic build and a 2 Lt

hope that is some help
cheater
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

cheaterparts wrote:after reading though this thread most of the info was given for a 2.6 not a 2 lt
Cheater is right again. I was talking about a 2.6L not the 2L.

On the up side, you can bolt a narrow block 2.6L (plenty of them around) straight to your gearbox, even a TS Magna 2.6L engine will fit with a GN timing cover and sump (with only a minor mod required to the timing cover to fit over the TS oil pump). :D

Buy a complete 2.6L TR or TS Magna (check EBAY or the damaged vehicle auctions) and you have almost all the parts (apart from the timing cover and sump) for an EFI build...

Food for thought.

Sorry to have lead you astray with my earlier posts.

Cheers.
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Thats ok it's good to know for the next one. Ok I bought two sigmas off a mate 77 sedan and a 78 wagon both have 2l astrons in them and both 5 spd both for $300 the motor I pulled out was his mums daily driver so I knew it was good I've striped it right down and it's pretty good can put it back together and would go for years but I want to put bigger piston bigger cam and maybe big valves but don't want to go way to over board was thinking stage 3 cam couple size bigger piston as it's standard and slightly larger valves can do all work myself other the mechining and boring but if I'm most probs going to take it to st marts engines in west Sydney they do very good work and has a good rep on a few websites dad got his charger motor done there and touch wood hasnt skipped a beat so thought I'd take it there. But cause I'm new to the 4 cylinder Mitsubishis I wanted to know how far and how good u can go with them so far I'm hooked I'm glad I bought a galant now cya later centuras p.s there forsale if anyone want two .
sceneybr

Post by sceneybr »

go on trading post type in sigma and you will find a listing with a engine for sale call the guy up and he will do your engine up with flat tops etc you just supply the engine had mine rebuilt 900 dollars and its a 6 killer stock stock everything apart from internals the guy used to rebuild and do performance jobs on sigmas back in the day my engine 8000kms old from rebuild no oil leaks etc brilliant.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Superscan811 wrote:Cheater is right again. I was talking about a 2.6L not the 2L.
Scott - I'm allway right or have I told you that before lol !
cheater
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Is it the guy with the motor for $200 in cheltnham north
sceneybr

Post by sceneybr »

yes what it should say is swap an old motor pay 200 and you get that one in the pic but if you call him up he will rebuild one for you great guy
sceneybr

Post by sceneybr »

This is my engine mind you i did gearbox and rocker cover. but engine normally gets flat tops, new rings, if you want it bored and honed tell him and he will get pistons to suit, checks the crankshaft if it shot it gets reground, head crack tested ets new welsh plugs, elimination of the balance shaft if you want, new engine bearings. http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6195
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Hmmm I like it lol thinking bout sending it there anyone know would it be cheaper to drive down to vic or send by postage