Using a 4B1x/GEMA/G4KC engine.

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Cottees
Admin

Using a 4B1x/GEMA/G4KC engine.

Post by Cottees »

While looking at options for what to do with the engine in my Lancer LC, I had the idea to put in a newer engine. An option was a 4G92, but since the engine is really long, it would take a whole heap of modding to get it to fit. While doing more research, I thought what better thing to do is to put a current Lancer engine into a 1st gen Lancer. Hence a 4B10 or 4B11. They seem to be shorter than the 4G92, so might fit ok. When searching for RWD options for the 4B11. That is when I stubbled upon that the 4B11 is almost the same as the Hyundai 'Theta' engine, or the G4KC. Hyundai used it in their Genesis Coupe, which is RWD. In that application, it was bolted to a RWD 6sp manual. That would be option to putting it into a RWD car like we have. Other research says that that the 4B11 has the same bolt pattern as the 4G63. If the bolt pattern of the 4B11 and the G4KC is the same, this would open up the possibility of using these style engines in our cars, and also using a 6sp manual on other engines too. That is if the bolt pattern is the same, and if the transmission is any good. Anyone got any info that I am missing?
A112H

Re: Using a 4B1x/GEMA/G4KC engine.

Post by A112H »

The engine in the Genesis Coupe is basically a copy of a 4G63 same as Hyundai have been doing for 20 years with the Beta engine range.
If you are correct then I don't see any reason why a narrow block gearbox wouldn't bolt up to the new 4B1* engines, assuming the gearbox shaft, the starter motor and clutch fit up.
I thought what better thing to do is to put a current Lancer engine into a 1st gen Lancer.
I am suprised the LC is classed as a first gen, it is a very different car to the LA's
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Galant_GT0 wrote:I am suprised the LC is classed as a first gen, it is a very different car to the LA's
Apparently the LA-LC are 1st gen. Including the Sedan, Wagon, Coupe and Hatch versions.
4B11LA

Post by 4B11LA »

have you taken this any further ?
i have been looking at my 4b11 and wide block 5 speed jap box for a very long time (acording to ebay prior to 2011) and it apears there is going to be a bit of modding to the "donor" gearbox that has seen better days just to get the 2 together.
i have a sigma spiggot fitted in the 4b11 flywheel and a sigma disc under the press plate with the box on it is not close to any holes including the starter, but it is doable.
after that hurdle is cleared the oil filter could be exactly where the engine mount should go not to mention the thermostat migh be inside the firewall but thats later on down the track
4B11LA

Post by 4B11LA »

Well there is a rear wheel drive Lancer with a 4B11 fitted and driving just need to get a pic up now
4B11LA

Post by 4B11LA »

its not 100% finished but it does drive
stealth

Post by stealth »

The third gen hyundia sonata uses a 4g63 7 bolt set up same
as the galant hh ,same as evo 2 3 but non turbo
also fits narrow g ,box
and you can buy a runner for 500
cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !