Some 4g54 advice/help.

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
robbert

Some 4g54 advice/help.

Post by robbert »

Hey guys, a very long time reader, new poster.

I just bought this
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6210

Now I want to get it going a bit better. It's had heaps done to it but still has the standard cam. Which is what I need some advice with.

Firstly it has roller rockers. Just the standard TR magna ones. What model magna or sigma can I take the adjustable rockers from? Will all 4g54 rockers and rails fit my TR head. Or do I slide the rollers off the rails and slide on the adjustables.

Next I want to get the cam machined. I was going to get a cam from the wreckers and send it off to be machined the swap it with mine. The cam I was thinking of getting is the camtech CT107
709A. Power range 2800 -6800. Or CT107 712B, 2400-6500rpm.

With either of these cams would I need to up the valve springs and would I need the adjustable cam gear?

Also the motor runs off the EMS computer. None of my local mechanics will touch it. They say it needs a dyno. If I put the cam in would it be drivable for about 50km to a mechanic with a dyno to tune it up. Or if I download the EMS software would an amateur be able to change some settings to get it going.

That's all for now!! After the cam I want to put in the sc-14 supercharger. But that is for another day.
Love this site!!!
robbert

Re: Some 4g54 advice/help.

Post by robbert »

So I went to the wreckers today. Got an adjustable rocker rack and a cam from a gk ciggy. Astron 1. All looks and feels the same except the first cam bearing journal. It has a hole and mine has a groove. might try swapping them around. The cam will go to get machined ready to swap into my engine.

Am I going down the right path with this?
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Hey mate,

Sounds like your on the right track. Make sure you keep your original cam journals with the head, just swap over your rockers & the cam.
Reason being they are line bored, so changing over journals may lead to some slight difference with the cam bearing surfaces.

Other than that, just roughly set up your tappets cold and re-do them when at running temp to spec.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
robbert

Post by robbert »

Hi again.

I put my cam in today, and OMG what a difference. Best $88 I have ever spent. I got wade cams to machine mine.

Although , i have a problem with the cam setup and need some urgent help with as I need my car to get to work on Wednesday.

The adjusters for the mechanical rockers are screwed all the way in and I am getting only half of the lock nut to the thread. The nuts will strip if I try to tighten them right up as there is not enough bite.

Can I get the screw part of the rockers off another model so they are longer, or would I get away with lock-tight to keep them set and to stop them coming lose.

It's only a very mild cam. 733a grind. And inlet set to .007 and exaust .009, as the specs say to do. Gk Sigma rockers and cam on a m9 head. I slide the sigma adjustable rockers on my rail.

Any tips?
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

robbert wrote:The adjusters for the mechanical rockers are screwed all the way in and I am getting only half of the lock nut to the thread. The nuts will strip if I try to tighten them right up as there is not enough bite.
Put the lock-nut UNDER the rocker arm, they are skinny enough to fit.
Just be sure to check the rockers don't hit the rocker cover when you tighten it down.

Cheers.
robbert

Post by robbert »

Kool. That is such a good idea!!!

Thanks for the fast reply.