Carby starting troubles.

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
galantacious

Carby starting troubles.

Post by galantacious »

Hey,

So i have a gb galant with a 4G33 stock as a rock, i put an auto choke carby from a gc on it.
The galant that the carby was off was on gas for god knows how long, i had to change the float because it had started to wear itself away on the bottom of the float chamber as there was no fuel, anyway, i pulled it all apart cleaned everything changed the float, slapped it on. After some fiddling with the float level it ran alright.
I let it sit for a couple of days and then it took ages to start, i think the fuel is evaporating from the float chamber and has to pump the fuel back up in order to start.

Any ideas what could cause this? aside from that it runs ok after it's warmed up but hesitates alot until then.

Ideas?

Thanks Corey
tango76hardtop

Re: Carby starting troubles.

Post by tango76hardtop »

when i had a gd galant it was hard to start when the points gap was too wide and it made it run sluggish also.
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
galantacious

Post by galantacious »

Once it's warm it drivers as per normal, if i leave it sit for say up to 5 or so hours it will still start very easily, just when it's been sitting for a day or more, just cranks for a fair while before i assume fuel can get to the float bowl.
ddt

Post by ddt »

do the GC carbs require you to pump the throttle before turning over? maybe experiment with 2 or more throttle pumps before starting when cold and see what works best?
For my old sigma wagon, i'd have to pump the sh!t out of the accelerator when turning over for it to start -but my new one is completely different.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
galantacious

Post by galantacious »

Well, generally a carby car will require the accelerator to be pumped 1-2 times to turn the choke on (if it's auto choke), it also pumps a little fuel into the carb as well, as soon as it starts i can turn it off and it will start again without throttle.
Before i start it tomorrow i'll check if theres any fuel in the float bowl, if there isn't then that confirms my suspicions at least, then i just have to work out why or how the fuel is escaping the float bowl.

any ideas where it could be going?
krohny

Post by krohny »

check the bottom of the carby for any evidence of fuel..
are you sure all the jets are clean and have nothing blocking them a little?
greybeard

Post by greybeard »

A couple of suggestions - next time it has been sitting for a day or so, before you attempt a start take the top off the air cleaner and trickle a little fuel in to the carb throat (no more than a teaspoon full) if it fires straight up then you know the problem is fuel related.

Next before you start and the engine is cold - take the air cleaner top off, push the gas pedal slowly to the floor release it then have a look down the carb throat, you should see the choke closed, if its not closed you need to sort that one out.

One other thing is that the mechanical fuel pump check valves should hold the fuel in the line to the carb when the engines not running, if they dont, then fuel will effectively drain back through the pump and there will be a delay on next start while the pump fills the carb line up again.
galantacious

Post by galantacious »

Thank's guys i'll check it out today!
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

has youre carby got a fuel soleniod cut off valve?

the fuel could be seeping out of the carby between the carby body gaskets and into the engine at rest.

is the float set correctly? new needle and seat?

if the points are burred and the dweel isnt set correctly it can have a effect on how well it starts/runs.

is it auto choke? is the fast idle adjustment and choke plate set correctly?
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.