TR magna EFI Issues HELP

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
sigtool

TR magna EFI Issues HELP

Post by sigtool »

ive just done efi conversion in my triton
have a few gremlins
1-after i did the timing as the manual tells me to ect i watched the timing become erratic briefly then settles then erratic again ANY IDEAS

2- the car seems miss every now and then i believe the ignition is having issues as above.
i have a feeling the spark plug leads are earthing out but ive checked them and they test fine and ive re routed them a few different ways in the engine bay makes no difference.
is the anything else to check ?

help appretiated

cheers
"Boosted is The Only Way To Live"
<Sigma Turbo No.177 >
<96 Astron Powered Triton>
<81 GJ Scorpion>
leigh7005

Re: TR magna EFI Issues HELP

Post by leigh7005 »

do you mean the timing is eratic or the idle coz most magnas ive eva been in have eratic idle i simply belive the magna ecu is junk
sigtool

Post by sigtool »

not the idle the timing is erratic when its running i can watch with the timing light the timing mark dance around between 5deg and 15deg BTDC
i should add since my post if found corrosion on both MAF sensor plug and throttle position sensor ive cleaned all that up hopefully its sorted it.
and i checked the plugs it appears to be lean which led me to MAF ect.

cheers
"Boosted is The Only Way To Live"
<Sigma Turbo No.177 >
<96 Astron Powered Triton>
<81 GJ Scorpion>
leoca

Post by leoca »

Try disconnecting the lead(i.e. plug) to the airbox and starting it.
Does it have a oxygen sensor?
fast4g54

Post by fast4g54 »

howdy sigtool, i've just rebuilt my 4g54 in my triton and done the same efi conversion ( i used the ts magna as a donor)...it ran like a dream for about a half hour then started missing etc...long story short, i have used a piece of stainless pipe(with normal rubber hose at each end) to run the top radiator outlet to the pick up in the manifold which i'm sure you'll know is at the rear of the engine bay. all worked fine until things heated up and the steel pipe came into contact (or close enough ) with the top of the dizzy cap and no.4 lead causing an arc between the two and my miss...it took me ages to find cause each time i let it cool down all would be sweet plus i had convinced myself that i must have water somewhere in the electrics as it was raining when it first happend. i went out and bought a pair of thick rubber thongs, cut myself a nice spacer out of them and wedged it between dizzy and pipe...hasn't missed a beat since...incedently, i have upped the compression to 10:1, used the m6 head from the magna ( shaved, ported new valves and springs ) and the standard hyd. roller cam, pacemaker extractors and a pod style k&n air filter...what a difference!! it's a 4x4 with HUGE kahoonas!