hellllpp 4age

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
regor

hellllpp 4age

Post by regor »

Hey guys and gals...
i need some help..

hears the story....
one o my mates has a corolla wif a 4age in it...
he lost compression (compression was 180 , 30 ,45 195) i told him it was more than likely a head gasket...
so i pulled the head off to find the gasket popped between pot 2 and 3...
then i got him a new gasket... bolted the head on a torqured it down did all teh timing ect...went to start it and it would not start played wif timing and shit and its all spot on... so i did a comp test on it..no i have no compression on any.. i got 75 psi otta the first pot then got nothing across the other 3.. so i went back to the first.. and nothing...
i checked m y torque stetting and shit..its esactly wat the manual and bit of papper say...
i have been building engine's and shit for years.. and never had this problem...
i have had the checked and there wear no crack and it was fine... it was a perfect head...

anyone ever had this problem before... could it be rings.. valve's cracked block...wrong gasket..?

any advise or help would be awesome..

thanks heaps...
p.s sorry for spelling mistakes
rides.
green twin charged ge sigma (broken atm but making it better (week end car when runnig)) this is her http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3132262/1
black s13 silvia with rb20det (back up)
black slammed e36 turbo (will be my daily when it running)
blue s13 ls1 turbo (project car / track car)
but i would have to say my fav is my ge
turbogj260

Re: hellllpp 4age

Post by turbogj260 »

ur cams turning? sounds like u left the belt off.
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
regor

Post by regor »

narrr man cams are tuning....
rides.
green twin charged ge sigma (broken atm but making it better (week end car when runnig)) this is her http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3132262/1
black s13 silvia with rb20det (back up)
black slammed e36 turbo (will be my daily when it running)
blue s13 ls1 turbo (project car / track car)
but i would have to say my fav is my ge
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

all valves are closing propperly? cams are not out of time ?
(assuming dohc???)

Sounds rather odd to get "nothing"
-maybe double check your comp guage in an engine with known compression lol
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

had the same problem with my sons sigma 5 or 6years ago , he had blown the head gasket soI replaced it ,shaved the head just to make sure it was nice and flat when we started it up it had no compression it was just blowing past the piston rings so had to put oversize pistons and new rings in that could be the problem you are having now anyhow thats my 2 cents worth :thumpsup:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

did u put the buckets and shims in the same spot they came out of? i'd say its a cam timing issue but the shims are all sized to set the valve clearances so they may be riding. double check cam timing first though.
gb galant efi 2.6 track toy
gj sedan hack car
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

A mate of mine used to rally sprinter with a 4age in it. I remember when it got a rebuild one year that the engine builder had to re-build again straight away.
I recall the problem was due to the angine builder putting the wrong head gasket in it. I think my mate said there's apparently about 4 different head gaskets for the 4AGE motor. Maybe check to make sure the head gasket is the correct one for the motor.
1976 Galant Hardtop
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Hijack........
I know some of the 4AGE motors came with quad throttle bodies. Which ones were these (looking at stealing a set for my 4G32.

As with the no compression.....i would be going with ur valves arent closing properly or piston rings (or combination).
But yea sounds very weird.
When you figure it out let us know (with pics too if possible).

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
webby

Post by webby »

Blacktop and silvertop 20v motors had the ITB's
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889