Race spec 4g54 Mods

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
brendon

Race spec 4g54 Mods

Post by brendon »

After racing my scorpion at the Rockhampton street sprints. (I got a hairline crack in the block - fixed it with Devcon) I'm going to rebuild the motor properly (more horsepower/more strength)
I've been talking to a few people about building up a even better motor, on the list to start with is:
grouting the block
main bearing girdle
Oil pan options? (Dry sump or crank scraper and windage tray... leaning more towards a dry sump.)
I Need to know if anyone has done this? can the 'standard' oil pump be modified to use in the dry sump? other tips?

anyone know of anything else that would be worth doing to the motor. I'm looking at using principles that have been used in drag racing and by top engine builders (mainly v8s) and adapting the principles this motor
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
cheaterparts

Re: Race spec 4g54 Mods

Post by cheaterparts »

well I still use a wet sump on my circuit car but it has been made wider and built further foward so I could move the engine back
inside it has trap door baffles
I also use a crank scaper that was custom build to fit close to a lightened crank
I still use a std pump that I preped by tightening up the clearances

if posible use a 2.6 auto block ( narrow pattern ) then you can use the smaller 2Lt sized flywheel and lighten that
or better still get a custom billit flywheel
my own flywheel is lighter than the one shown and uses a 7 1/4" tilton race clutch the clutch weights 2.3 Kg
as for the bottom end std rods are ok but I polish and pean the rods and fit ARPs
of cause the balance shafts are in the scrap

as for the top end its a magna head with porting running 11.2 : 1 comp ,quite a large cam, double valve springs
and for indution it has 2 x 45 mm dcoes which are to small even with custom 41 mm chokes
there are a few other things that help a bigger alt pulley and a under drive pulley on the crank - to slow down both the alt and water pump
a custom made set of headers as there was nothing off the shelf that would do the job required

hopefully that is some food for thought
cheater
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

WOW!, how do I get one of those fan-tastic sumps? :lol:
22dodge

Post by 22dodge »

Cheater: I'm very impressed with your setup. Did you modify that flywheel or is that a purchased part? I have an 11 pound factory flywheel but it looks nothing like that.

I've been having a lot of problems spinning #2 rod bearing. I hope I've resolved that with a new oil pump, and pure synthetic oil. I'll find out tonight.

I found running the 9:1 flat top pistons with my biggest cam (.547" lift) the valves are nicking the pistons. I'm put a milder cam in for now until I get time to cut some valve releifs.

I'd really like to get my engine up to 12:1 compression ratio. anyone have a Magna small chamber head they'd be willing to part with?
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

karl_2ltgc wrote:WOW!, how do I get one of those fan-tastic sumps? :lol:
just put your order in and wait . lol , I know its been a couple of months or was that years

22dodge wrote:Cheater: I'm very impressed with your setup. Did you modify that flywheel or is that a purchased part? I have an 11 pound factory flywheel but it looks nothing like that.

I've been having a lot of problems spinning #2 rod bearing. I hope I've resolved that with a new oil pump, and pure synthetic oil. I'll find out tonight.

I found running the 9:1 flat top pistons with my biggest cam (.547" lift) the valves are nicking the pistons. I'm put a milder cam in for now until I get time to cut some valve releifs.

I'd really like to get my engine up to 12:1 compression ratio. anyone have a Magna small chamber head they'd be willing to part with?
I make my own flywheels at home I have a hobby lathe and mill

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2764
cheater
22dodge

Post by 22dodge »

I hope you balance it before use!!

any clue where I can get an M8/M9 head?
havocgtr

Post by havocgtr »

Ive seen pics of your lathe if thats your idea of a hobbey lathe i want to see what you consider a proffessional one LOL :P
1981 Scorp NOW Turboed , T04B , Magna Head , Recurved Dizzy , No balance shafts , :D
1992 Triton 2WD + Extractors & 2 1/4" exhaust + 32/36 weber = Daily driver and run around family car
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

I sold my big lathe when I got out of a factory and took the small one home

just goes to show not every thing is bigger in texas
cheater
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

havocgtr wrote:
Ive seen pics of your lathe if thats your idea of a hobbey lathe i want to see what you consider a proffessional one LOL :P

I was thinking the same thing... EEK, so with this hobby lathe what limitations does cheaterparts now have?

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Time is the limiting factor nowdays Tim - I've been working 3 days a week for 1 guy and 2 or more for another and trying to get some fishing in
and of cause it been a bit cold to get out in the shed at night - and I'm slack !

Tim did you do anything about your type 7 clone
cheater
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

cheaterparts wrote:Tim did you do anything about your type 7 clone
Hey Steve,

Nope not yet. A mate of mine and I are considering coming to talk and have a looks see. I think the questions we have will be better off asked in person. Not only that a spacial view point might be needed. So will keep you informed. It will be a little way off yet but it will be a track worrier... :D

Cheers

PS: Know about the time thing.. LOL
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

It will be a little way off yet but it will be a track worrier...
if you do one for the track I'll get keen again and finish mine -
cheater
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

cheaterparts wrote:if you do one for the track I'll get keen again and finish mine -
Hmmm that sounds liek a challenge..... :D Might need to talk with Neal hehehehe. Will be seeing you soonish......

Cheers