2.6 head clarification

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
22dodge

2.6 head clarification

Post by 22dodge »

forgive me for being a newbie.

I'm trying to figure out the exact years, model cars that have the small combustion chamber cylinder. I believe it's casting ID M8 oris it M9 or is it both? I'm understanding it comes on the Astron 2 engine but what vehicle does that come in?
being from in a country that's clueless about 2.6 4G54 engine, I'm needing some help.

Cheers!
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Re: 2.6 head clarification

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Well over here the M8 and M9 heads im pretty sure came out on the Mitsubishi TS Magna.
Im not that good on heads either but thats what ive heard.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
22dodge

Post by 22dodge »

Thanks for that.

anyone else? I'm having a hard time figuring this out. Before I order a cylinder head 10,000 miles away, I want to be sure I get the right one.
MrBishi

Post by MrBishi »

The M8 & M9 castings have a kidney shaped combution chamber opposed to hemispherical on all other Astron heads. This increases the compression ratio but when used 'as-cast' the ridges are likely to cause hot spots and promote detonation on a high HP engine. These ridges can be smoothed out however.
M8/9 were only ever available on Australian TR/S Magnas.
22dodge

Post by 22dodge »

many thanks.

I'm not worried about detonation. we need to get some compression out of this 2.6. with what is available in the USA, I'm maxed out at 9.4:1. I need to be 12:1 or more. We have sufficent fuel octane that detonation wouldn't be a problem but I'll be sure to soften any sharp edges. I'd prefer not to have dome pistons. I've had problems with excessive wear on the top ring using Dome pistons on my old 426 hemi.

What year Magna am I looking for?.

I wonder what it would take to get one in the US?

Cheers.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

MrBishi wrote:The M8 & M9 castings have a kidney shaped combution chamber.
not all M8 have the kidney chamber, i have pulled 2 off at UPI and they have had hemi chambers.
Insert witty one liner here -->
22dodge

Post by 22dodge »

Now I'm even more confused. So can anyone absolutely tell me what year, what model car will have the kidney shaped combustion chamber?
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

to be sure get one stamped M9 from the last of the 2.6 Magna's or get a picture before buying.
MrBishi

Post by MrBishi »

Get an M9 to be sure.
I thought I had seen an M8 kidney, but it was a fair while ago and could be (or probably am) mistaken.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

im sure ive seen M8 kidney aswell, but there not all the same for some reason, or i was high on fuel vapours when reading the numbers, lol
22dodge

Post by 22dodge »

doesn't anyone have one? Could someone direct me to a forum board where people know about these?
/
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

The M8 in my galant is a Hemi style head (it does get confusing yes...)

Brought it from a guy who said it was from a TR Magna, so going by that I'd be looking for a TS Magna, again making sure it has M9 on it.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
22dodge

Post by 22dodge »

Could someone help me located an M9 head? I would greatly appreciate any help. Any online salvage yard web pages? Cylinder head sales web pages? I'm not having much luck searching from over here.