Head Gaskets

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Jamie

Head Gaskets

Post by Jamie »

I need a head gasket that will not fail. Has anyone any suggestions.
I started with a Montorque, that fail after 5000K
That was replaced with a OEM TP head gasket. That has failed after 20,000K.

The head and block were both square and OK when I replaced it with the OEM head gasket.
I am writing it off to building the engine for high compression.

I think a copper head gasket is in order, can anyone recommend where I can buy one from?
I'm getting sick of the clutch slipping due to oil seeping down the back of the block and into the bell housing.

Thanks,

Jamie
amgis_obrut

Re: Head Gaskets

Post by amgis_obrut »

how much compression

I have a few oem head gaskets and they're monotorque gaskets

Copper gastets are good for sealing in compression and thats about it
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
rob020

Post by rob020 »

you tried that copper-coat stuff? or hylomar? i dont change headgaskets without it... :thumpsup:
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Jamie wrote:I need a head gasket that will not fail. Has anyone any suggestions.
I started with a Montorque, that fail after 5000K
That was replaced with a OEM TP head gasket. That has failed after 20,000K.

The head and block were both square and OK when I replaced it with the OEM head gasket.
I am writing it off to building the engine for high compression.

I think a copper head gasket is in order, can anyone recommend where I can buy one from?
I'm getting sick of the clutch slipping due to oil seeping down the back of the block and into the bell housing.

Thanks,

Jamie
I still use a mono torque and run 11.2:1 comp no problem I do coat each side with coppercoat
is the problem an oil leak if it is theres no where at the back of the gasket that has oil under presure
theres an oil return which shouldn't leak
about the only place I've had problems of oil leaking at the back of the head has been the rocker cover
around the rear cam bearing it alway needs some silicon put in the corners

but if you still wont to get a copper h/gasket try ridgecrest I've used them before heres the link

http://www.ridgecrest.com.au/

cheater
cheater
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

As Cheater has stated you will not have a head gasket failure for oil at the back.....

I will always run hylomar on my head gaskets and have never had issues. What torque settings are you using? do you torque things down in the three stages? when they have failed have you studied the head gasket to see where it let go? My head gasket in the 2.6 is still going strong after 35,000K and the coupe had one done almost 40,000K ago should be good enough to run OEM gaskets without issues.

Ridgecrest is the goods if you truely want copper but I am not sure I really see the point.

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Oldn :o Good to see you gracing us with your presence again :thumpsup:

Jamie, from memory your running an astron 2 head from a magna on the 2.6 yeah?
-Rocker cover sealing in the corners where it goes over the cam tunnel? (i think thats what cheater is referring too?)
-Did you shorten the cam shaft? not leaking through there?

As above, technically it is possible... but pretty improbable :think:

Nick.

(Astron rocker covers... :lol: they really are shocking things!!)
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

I used to always use genuine OEM rocker gaskets.(Can you still buy them?) Many others don't sit in the radius on the cover correctly.............

Roger
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

its not the head gaskets mate, i think the deck of the block isnt straight. get a propper straight edge and some feeler gauges and check for warpage. Are you getting the cylinder head machined each time? this is essential. When replacing the head gasket are you cleaning the block with emery paper on a flat wooden block? the block surface has to be imaculatly clean, clean out the bolt holes with compressed air. Make sure the head hasn't had too much machined off and the bolts are bottoming out before it torques the head down. And last question, are you following the head bolt torque sequence? ie working your way from the center out?
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

81GL wrote:Oldn :o Good to see you gracing us with your presence again :thumpsup:
your back Oldn where have you been hiden ?
cheater
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I have been using a Ridgecrest copper gasket for nearly 10 years. The block is O ringed

Had water seepage issues with Coppercoat. These were cured with a dose of Bars Leak

No problems at all now that it is coated with Hylomar. Should outlast the life of the engine.
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

cheaterparts wrote:
81GL wrote:Oldn :o Good to see you gracing us with your presence again :thumpsup:
your back Oldn where have you been hiden ?
Long story short Steve... in last 3 years I have had my wife disappear, she took my coupe, had cancer dealt with and have had a heart attack all in all nothing major really.. :S just trying to piece my life back together

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

astronturbo77 wrote:its not the head gaskets mate, i think the deck of the block isnt straight. get a propper straight edge and some feeler gauges and check for warpage. Are you getting the cylinder head machined each time? this is essential. When replacing the head gasket are you cleaning the block with emery paper on a flat wooden block? the block surface has to be imaculatly clean, clean out the bolt holes with compressed air. Make sure the head hasn't had too much machined off and the bolts are bottoming out before it torques the head down. And last question, are you following the head bolt torque sequence? ie working your way from the center out?

Top advice!!