2.6 Astron to replace 2.0 Astron in my GH

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Cipher124

2.6 Astron to replace 2.0 Astron in my GH

Post by Cipher124 »

Hey all,

In the very near future I will be purchasing for a good price a 2.6L Astron with auto transmission, both in unknown mechanical condition as they have been sitting on a garage floor for years, to replace the 2.0L Astron with manual transmission in my 1980 GH.

If I could have it my way it would remain manual but as I have learned from this website that will not be possible with this particular engine.

My main aim is to achieve a more powerful engine for my car, planning to rebuild the 2.6L whatever condition it is in currently.

My questions are:
-- Will I need to make modifications to the interior of the car for the auto shift lever, provided I have all the components?
-- Does the diff also need to be replaced?
-- Can I use the head of my 2.0L (to increase compression and therefore power) with the original intake and carby setup?
-- What other issues may I face?

If this project goes ahead I will document it with photos and make them available on here.

Thanks guys,
Marshall
1980 GH Chrysler Sigma SE - Project - Now with 4G54 wideblock and 5spd BW. Getting it back on the road!
2008 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDI Pacific - The daily

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864268/1
shuggy

Re: 2.6 Astron to replace 2.0 Astron in my GH

Post by shuggy »

a 2.6 auto block has the same bolt pattern for a 2l 5 speed box, pull out the 2.0. drop in the 2.6 with the flywheel off the 2.0 and drive away
Cipher124

Post by Cipher124 »

Really? Cool :-)

I thought there was a difference with the wide/narrow bellhousing issue...

I'm new to the world of Sigmas, so I guess I've still got a bit of research ahead of me lol
1980 GH Chrysler Sigma SE - Project - Now with 4G54 wideblock and 5spd BW. Getting it back on the road!

shuggy

Post by shuggy »

a stock manual 2.6 is a wide block, a stock auto 2.6 is narrow.

all 2.0's are narrow..

all good?
Cipher124

Post by Cipher124 »

Sounds all good to me :-)

Thanks mate

krohny

Post by krohny »

i have a wide box.. not that you will need it, but just to let you know its possible anyways..
Cipher124

Post by Cipher124 »

Well, I have just arrived home after driving 2.5 hours with my new 2.6L Astron.
Needs a new dizzy, carby (which I can use off my 2L, which originally came off a 2.6 anyways) and everything under the rocker cover needs a good cleaning out.

After changing all the gaskets, spark plugs and leads I'll start her up and see how she goes. If it's not too good, it'll get rebuilt.

Anything else I should have thought of?

Sean

Post by Sean »

Plenty of bits and pieces you can change while its out that will be easier than once it's installed.

I'd be doing all the belts, hoses, thermostat, filters, etc

May as well delete the balance shafts, and if it's condition is unknown whack a new timing chain on it.

Sean
Cipher124

Post by Cipher124 »

Yeah thanks mate, gonna get all new "replacables" for it while it's on the garage floor.

Hmm, the balance shafts? Well, I just read the ENTIRE 'resurrected' thread on that one... Touchy issue it seems hehe. Think what I'll do is turn them down on the lathe, that way I won't have any of the oil pump issues. But I do like the idea of the fork pump tho

Cheers, Marshall

Cipher124

Post by Cipher124 »

Well I started to pull the 2.6 down this afternoon.
Has a brand new Monotorque head gasket, never been started since its been put in, but had to take the head off to inspect the condition of the cylinders anyway. The head surface of the block could use a decent cleaning up tho.
Next to to get the timing cover off... Tomorrow job that one

Guess I should say that at this stage, all I'm doing is getting this motor RUNNING and into the GH. This is my first time tinkering with an engine at this level. After that I'll start trying out the XF Falcon carby idea and a new cam. Extractors too, but I don't want to get into the 'debate' about THAT particular topic just yet... hehe

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

are you stripping the engine right down or just having a look see
cheater
Cipher124

Post by Cipher124 »

Just having a look see... As far as I'm aware the bottom end is sound and the head is ok. The guy I bought it off wanted to drop it into his Pajero but it ended up being too much work for him. He told me all that was wrong with it was it blew the head gasket between 2-3 cylinders.
s why I want to
I noticed some sand/grit in the small cover over the chain tensioner adjustment bolt, that's why I want to remove the timing cover and give everything inside there a good cleaning. Using the parts wash at work of course :P

karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

shuggy wrote:a stock manual 2.6 is a wide block, a stock auto 2.6 is narrow.

all 2.0's are narrow..

all good?
Yes and no....

GH's have a borg warner box and come in both Wide and narrow bolt patterns but thanks to the removable bellhousing you can use either wide or narrow with your box if you can find the matching bellhousing. Its more than likely your GH will have a narrow bellhousing due to the fact its 2ltr but it could be the other way round, only way to know for sure is to measure.