Dumb Question, How do I know if its a 2.6?

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
llgc

Dumb Question, How do I know if its a 2.6?

Post by llgc »

The Easter bunny never showed up so I was feeling sorry for myself and went out shopping, Got a couple of astron shortblocks, 2 bare heads, extractors, 5 speed box, Koni inserts, a stuffed GC body and a few other bits.
Anyways I read an excellent post on here and have identified the heads as being Astron 2, one has M4 on it other has no identification.
I haven't picked the blocks up yet but now I suddenly thought how do I know the blocks are actually 2.6 not 2.0? They have flat top pistons in them if that helps. Obviously I could measure bore and stroke but is there a simplier way to identify them? One has had the block decked and there is no engine number left.
Cheers,
Mike
rob020

Re: Dumb Question, How do I know if its a 2.6?

Post by rob020 »

im guessing you know 4g52 is 2l and 4g54 is 2.6? other than that,
not that i know of... just use a ruler, it shouldnt be that hard,
2l has a 84mm bore, 2.6 has a 91.1mm bore

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
llgc

Post by llgc »

rob020 wrote:2l has a 84mm bore, 2.6 has a 91.1mm bore
Thanks for that, I didn't know there was that much difference in bore sizes.
Cheers,
Mike
SE Wagon

Post by SE Wagon »

Both blocks have a 101mm bore spacing. 2.6 will have 10mm (round figures) between bores, the 2.0 will have 17mm.

Or somebody could've bored a 2.0 block out to 2.6 spec, to create a 2.4 engine. I believe the bores would need to be sleeved to do this, as boring a 2.0 would otherwise break into water galleries - so if bores measure to 2.6, have a close look for sleeves.

Or look for the G52/G54 castings on the block. Can't remember where it's found.
(Formerly) 1984 GK SE Wagon
Kings, Konis, EFI, exhaust. Not much power. :( But it is red! :D And Sold...
Member's Rides Thread
nosakifaki

Post by nosakifaki »

Engine Number seems the most obvious to me.
JA starion.
GK GSR Turbo.
BMW E34 540i.
rob020

Post by rob020 »

i think he said one of them had the number ground off?? otherwise yea, thats a no brainer

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
stealth

Post by stealth »

SE Wagon wrote:Both blocks have a 101mm bore spacing. 2.6 will have 10mm (round figures) between bores, the 2.0 will have 17mm.

Or somebody could've bored a 2.0 block out to 2.6 spec, to create a 2.4 engine. I believe the bores would need to be sleeved to do this, as boring a 2.0 would otherwise break into water galleries - so if bores measure to 2.6, have a close look for sleeves.

Or look for the G52/G54 castings on the block. Can't remember where it's found.
:facepalm:
its not possable to bore a 2lt to 2.6 sleeves or not
as rob has said if your measure the bore at roughly 91 mm its a 2.6 (91.10 exactly)
the mystical 2.4 astron that no-one here has build is a 2.6 block with a 2lt crank ,or the 2.6 block with a 4d5# crank
and as i said no-one here has done this yet ! and if that have there not about to share the info.
there's a couple of people that are "going " to ,but
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

stealth wrote:and as i said no-one here has done this yet !
Not true. I know of one that has, and it's turbo'd too.
turbosigma, He's not a bad bloke either.
Here is the link to his cardomain page so you can see his cars.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/966637
I have seen this car, it was on the last cruise.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
stealth

Post by stealth »

fare enough my bad
i know mick 77 was going to give it a crack also
its just no -one has shared there experiance with it and said exactly the way thay have achieved it.
and as i said i know of three different ways to get the same 2.4 but all different bores and stroke,out of the three i think there is only one good outcome and its really expensive ,but the thing will rev to 8500 ,but then you run into lack of top end flow ,again heaps more money and the total end result is a touch more hp than a full house 2.6 with less torque but revs like hell
so it all come back to your wallet and aplication 8-)
but im going off topic here so
measure your bore with a rule if its 91 mm its a 2.6
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Cipher124

Post by Cipher124 »

Is there a thread on here regarding the use of a different crank or boring out to get this mythical 2.4?
Sounds like there should be to me... *hint hint*
1980 GH Chrysler Sigma SE - Project - Now with 4G54 wideblock and 5spd BW. Getting it back on the road!
2008 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDI Pacific - The daily

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864268/1
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Way back in the dark ages before I turbo'd the wagon I bought some turbo parts on ebay. The guy I got the bits from was in Queensland somewhere. It wasnt Joe who was the Sigma Turbo guru, he was still in Sydney at that time. (I got parts from him too, and Theo (DRSGMA) )

Anyway this guy offered me a Sigma block that was a 2.4 made from a 2.6 with a 2 litre crank. From memory it had Cosworth forged pistons. And lightweight balance shafts. ( I wondered about that too :wut: ) He told me that it was fitted to a drag car that held the Australian title for it's class. After he sold the drag car he fitted it to his Magna. At the time he was trying to sell it to me it was being used as a door stopper :(

He said that the motor would spin to 10,000 rpm all day. I never asked the price .
Cipher124

Post by Cipher124 »

Hmmm...

So what happens if you have a 2L engine with a 2.6L crank?
That would tell me displacement >2L, with increased torque (longer stroke) and increased compression, right? (Assuming keeping the same pistons, rods etc)

Whereas also with stock pistons etc, a 2.6L engine with a 2L crank gives <2.6L (the "2.4L engine"), less torque due to shorter stroke, and less compression?
The shorter stroke for this setup would explain it being able to rev higher
1980 GH Chrysler Sigma SE - Project - Now with 4G54 wideblock and 5spd BW. Getting it back on the road!
2008 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDI Pacific - The daily

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864268/1
letmefknin

Post by letmefknin »

Pretty sure both my 2.6 blocks have 4G54 cast into the side of them and the 2 litre blocks I have had previously had 4G52 cast into them also :think:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Pretty sure there should be a 2600 sticker on the rocker cover :D
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

Cipher124 wrote:Hmmm...

So what happens if you have a 2L engine with a 2.6L crank?
That would tell me displacement >2L, with increased torque (longer stroke) and increased compression, right? (Assuming keeping the same pistons, rods etc)

Whereas also with stock pistons etc, a 2.6L engine with a 2L crank gives <2.6L (the "2.4L engine"), less torque due to shorter stroke, and less compression?
The shorter stroke for this setup would explain it being able to rev higher
OK WARNING some of my long term memory is not 100% but I will give a crack at this one.

OK simply if you place a 2.6L crank into a 2L block you will result in head damage, starter motor damage and valve damage. A 2L block is shorter than the 2.6 (not heaps) The 2.6 has the same rod length but differing pistons hence the pin hieght changes. so the stroke gets changed resulting in the piston travelling out the top of the bores. To successfully put a 2.6crank into a 2 L you need custom pistons. this will enable the deck height to be correct. thus making the motor work well. What this results in is a motor that has huge torque probably similar to the 2.6 but not as much. I suspect that it would end up with a size of 2.2ish. then you would need to look into the head and cam package to make it work. it would be doable but not cheap (like any left field modded motor)
letmefknin wrote:Pretty sure both my 2.6 blocks have 4G54 cast into the side of them and the 2 litre blocks I have had previously had 4G52 cast into them also :think:
This is correct under the starter motor (I believe) will have the casting of the motor. the will be one of a number of casting depending upon the block vintage and original car it came from.
for 2.6
4G54
G54B
G54

For 2.0
4G52
G52
G52B

another way to tell that it is not an early 2L is that these didnt run balance shafts, whereas all 2.6L did. if the block doesnt have balance shafts then it is a 2L if it does have balance shafts then you have either a later 2L or a 2.6L thus needing to look at the casting and the engine number. Speaking of engine number the 2L ones start with M5 and the 2.6 M7 (from memory and a little sketchy.
llgc wrote:The Easter bunny never showed up so I was feeling sorry for myself and went out shopping, Got a couple of astron shortblocks, 2 bare heads, extractors, 5 speed box, Koni inserts, a stuffed GC body and a few other bits.
Anyways I read an excellent post on here and have identified the heads as being Astron 2, one has M4 on it other has no identification.
I haven't picked the blocks up yet but now I suddenly thought how do I know the blocks are actually 2.6 not 2.0? They have flat top pistons in them if that helps. Obviously I could measure bore and stroke but is there a simplier way to identify them? One has had the block decked and there is no engine number left.
Cheers,
Mike
So hopefully the above has answered your questions enough that you can find out what the block are from.
stealth wrote: :facepalm:
its not possable to bore a 2lt to 2.6 sleeves or not
as rob has said if your measure the bore at roughly 91 mm its a 2.6 (91.10 exactly)
the mystical 2.4 astron that no-one here has build is a 2.6 block with a 2lt crank ,or the 2.6 block with a 4d5# crank
and as i said no-one here has done this yet ! and if that have there not about to share the info.
there's a couple of people that are "going " to ,but
cheers stealth (H)
I too have had a crack at this, using a 2L crank sigma rods and custom pistons. while I didnt get it fully finished (due to health) I did manage to get it running. The biggest issue I have was the pistons I started with Holden 202 pistons which worked ok but decompressed the motor too much (even with the HQ race series ones which you cannot get anymore seeing ACl is in recievership) I think I ended up with Toyota pistons which I then machined the tops off, then coated with ceramics. this ran heaps smoother and the compression was up to 9.8:1 I would have liked to play with it more but didnt get a chance. From this I expect that a turbo fitted unit would be a hell of alot of fun but not so good off boost, and nice on boost. Mitsu ran a 2.4 in their commericals (G64's I think) but I dont know too much about these as I have not done the research as yet. These might be a better setup as the rod stroke relationship is not so square. just food for though. Interesting about the 4D55/4d56 crank are they a bolt in or heaps of machining, what do you know about these?

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

there is ref to a 4g55 91.1 bore and 90 stroke I wonder what pisons mitsubishi used

cheater
cheater
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

I have worked on early Canters with 2.4 Astron 4G53 (non-balance shaft)....I may have some specs on it. There may be some of these still around.

L300 4WD and Starwagon of early '90s had injected 2.4 litre 4G64 SOHC 8 valve. Current L300 has 4G64 SOHC 16 valve

Roger
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

The 4G53 has a bore of 88.0 mm, stroke 98.00 mm.

Compression ratio as fitted to 1975 Canter 8.5:1, 1976 on 8.0:1. Power 82kw.