Turbo dump pipe

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Sigmaproject

Turbo dump pipe

Post by Sigmaproject »

From the day I fitted the turbo gear to my motor there has been a mis-alignment between the wastegate to dump pipe mating surfaces. Not a big mis-alignment, but enough so that it has never sealed properly. :(

Well I finally got time to go to the local exhaust shop to book it in to get fixed. After surveying the situation, the manager said that he didnt think that his boys would be interested in doing the job. Too difficult. :think:

So I took it to the guy that does all (well most) of the custom exhausts for the rev heads in the Newcastle region. They had just fitted a you beaut system to a VL turbo. He took a look at my issue and said the only way he would attempt to do it was with the motor out of the car . The dump would be fitted to the engine, and the complete unit, motor and dump fitted back into the engine bay

Looks like I have an exhaust leak forever :$
=======================

Similar to this.

rob020

Re: Turbo dump pipe

Post by rob020 »

you say slight missalignment? im no exhaust expert, but what if you got a mate to heat up the wastegate pipe with an oxy while you tightened the bolts? i think it would stretch/bend into position.. mabye... i know nothing about exhausts...

cheers,
rob

p.s. couldnt you just take off the turbo, manifold and dump pipe as one piece... rather than take out the whole engine?
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

mate just take the turbo, dump, gate, and manifold off in one unit, slice flange off at the gate end, bolt flange to gate and reweld, remove gate and blend fange/pipe with die grinder, refit gate and bolt complete unit back onto engine

this is how i fixed this prob on my blue turbo
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Thanks guys. I guess that the whole thing is attached to the exhaust manifold anyway. so removing the manifold will be the way to go. Then I will take it to the exhaust shop. Surely they could manage to do it then :banh:
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Sigmaproject wrote:Surely they could manage to do it then :banh:
From experience... never assume anything when it comes to exhaust shops :lol:

Good luck with the fix, geez exhaust leaks are frustrating :banh:
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Problem is the outlet flange on the wastegate has a vERY thin sealing surface so if its not 100% it wont seal.

My exhaust guy is good an has done this for me... is a much better way to do it.

Have you tried rotating the flange at the manifold to better suit the dump???
rob020

Post by rob020 »

it would be cool if you could get one of these in the size you need
http://www.motoscope.co.uk/images/exhaust-flexi.jpg
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Looks good Karl. Mine has never sealed :(

Someone mentioned the flexy pipe a while back

I am going to take my manifold off, complete with dump pipe take it to the exhaust shop.

The first problem I have encounted is removing the boost signal pipe from wastegate. It is the factory metal tubing, and you need to be double jointed to get at the fittings :think:
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Sigmaproject wrote:
The first problem I have encounted is removing the boost signal pipe from wastegate. It is the factory metal tubing, and you need to be double jointed to get at the fittings :think:
I loosen it on the manifold then undo it at the join behind the head
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The joint behind the head is frozen solid.

I got it off from undeneath and separated the exhaust, removed the bonnet.

I have decided to replace all of the water hoses and fit a roller cam and rockers while it is grounded. Also going to paint the radiator and support panel