Crank Pulley removal on 4G54

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Cottees
Admin

Crank Pulley removal on 4G54

Post by Cottees »

I need to replace the timing chain cover on my 4G54, but first I need to remove the crankshaft pulley. I have read about using a impact wrench, using the starter motor + breaker bar, chain wrench + breaker bar and chock the fly wheel + breaker bar. Does anyone have any suggestions on how it is best done with a 4G54, keeping in mind I don't have an impact wrench?
gaz914

Re: Crank Pulley removal on 4G54

Post by gaz914 »

The simplest is to put a breaker bar on the bolt and wind the starter over.
Make sure the breaker bar isn't going to smash anything important as its flying around!!

I generally try to rest the breaker bar on the chassis and then crank, if that doesn't work (too tight), then arrange the breaker bar to allow the engine to spin a bit before the bar hits (higher impact).

Trying to chock the flywheel with the engine in is too hard IMHO.

good luck

Gaz
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI
tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

what i usually do is put it in gear making sure the handbrake is on of coarse then put the breaker bar on with the bar facing towards the ground then i come in from the side of the car underneath and give a hard boot on the breaker bar and that usually cracks the nut
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

The problem with both of them is not all the electrics are in the car and working yet, and there is also a snapped bolt sitting on the timing chain. With the other method, I am not sure if it would work with an auto.
tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

put it in park and it should work
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

tango76hardtop wrote:put it in park and it should work
It is in park at the moment, and the crank moves.

vr4retrofit wrote:what area are you in? if i have the time i may be able to bring my dewalt impact gun around and crack it for you.
The Sigma is in Elizabeth North at the moment.
HoonBoy

Post by HoonBoy »

Puting it in park is not going to help at all...

Try what Gaz said, it works :)
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

HoonBoy wrote:Try what Gaz said, it works :)
I might be able to do it, if I can get the bolt out. I have a bendy magnet thing that I could try fishing the bolt out with, just have to find that tool.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

vr4retrofit wrote:What size socket do you need?
IIRC, the crank bolt is a 22mm. Taking the crank pulley off of my car looks to be not 'too' hard to take off. But I need to also do the same thing to another 4G54 at U-Pull-It, and then tighten the bolt back up when I get the new timing chain cover on.
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

I usually just put it in second or third with the ebrake well on then take my monster proto ratchet to it and user a cheater.
73 galant coupe, 78 Lancer coupe, 84,85, and 86 ex1800 turbos, 87 minicab van supercharged, gto vr4, 4 starions. swb montero, mighty max, 88 cordia turbo. 65 debonair
80's Hero
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I went shopping and got a 1/2" breaker bar + chain grippy thing (forget what it is called at the moment). With a swift stomp on the breaker bar, cracked the crank bolt and was able to be hand unscrewed. One thing that worried me is that the manual says that you'd need to pry the pulley with 2 screw drivers to get it off. I was able to take it off easily just with my hands.

Thanks for the offer to help out vr4retrofit, but I should be ok now.