More random v8 questions...

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
516MA

More random v8 questions...

Post by 516MA »

Hey as it says need to know a few things:

1st is if i have a 302 with tunnel ram manifold how big carbies do i need (drag racing so full throttle most of the time) Holley 465s?

2nd if i was to put nitrous on board is there a tunnel ram plate nos kit or do i have to buy 2 kits and adapt and tune them the same?

Thanks heaps

Nick
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines" - Enzo Ferrari.

1965 - xp falcon project
amgis_obrut

Re: More random v8 questions...

Post by amgis_obrut »

what heads cam and comp is the 302 running ?

Yes you can buy a dedicated twin 4 plate system or you can get a fogger (port) system

depending on work id be leaning towards a single plane high rise and a 650-700 dp
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
516MA

Post by 516MA »

im unsure as i said just random questions lol

im looking at about 11-12 :1 comp?

i was thinking that if i bulid a windsor with nitrous i dont really have to work it that hard to get power out of it (eg, head porting etc) but the basic rebulid is on the cards, with higher comp pistons and stronger rods and crank, ive decided to keep it at 302 as they rev harder at standard stroke? and windsors sound awesome at 6 grand and beyond :wank:

should i be doing this like normal forced induction with lower comp or higher comp?

Unsure on cam you want to suggest?

Thanks Nick

1965 - xp falcon project
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

i wouldnt bother with std windsor heads, the exhaust ports are 2 small an d the studs are too close to port well.if revving a clevo hard yhou need a oil restrictor kit or you will fill your rocker covers will oil and have none in your sump.
gb galant efi 2.6 track toy
gj sedan hack car
516MA

Post by 516MA »

hmm so thats why some guys put clevo heads on there windsor, will 351 clevo heads fit on a 302 windsor?

Im not wanting anything special just maybe 9s @ 140mph with gas

but i saw this nitrous kit the 'BIG SHOT' on the american autos website : (www.americanautos.com.au)

For squarebore carbs that can give up to 400hp for $990

Sounds great to me :D

so theoretically if i build a windsor strong enough to 400hp or so n/a i SHOULD have 800hp!!

Now that should get it into the nines and in parachute territory :P

Nick

1965 - xp falcon project
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

516MA wrote:hmm so thats why some guys put clevo heads on there windsor, will 351 clevo heads fit on a 302 windsor?

Im not wanting anything special just maybe 9s @ 140mph with gas

but i saw this nitrous kit the 'BIG SHOT' on the american autos website : (http://www.americanautos.com.au)

For squarebore carbs that can give up to 400hp for $990

Sounds great to me :D

so theoretically if i build a windsor strong enough to 400hp or so n/a i SHOULD have 800hp!!

Now that should get it into the nines and in parachute territory :P

Nick

thats going to be an expensive way to go racing, running that amount of n2o will mean a bottle will only last 2 passes so you'll be needing at least 3 bottles a meet, a new set of plugs every run and you'll need to constantly check bottle temps to keep the pressure right to run consistent times, at the end of the day big n2o engines are a pain

Id be building a 347 with a set of ex nascar yates c3 heads/manifold, 11.5:1, Comp cams #xr292HR solid roller cam, 850 quick fuel carb, and maybe a 150 hit of gas, should be good for 520-550hp without spray, you could hit ebay USA for ex nascar parts, will save you some $$$

if you get ex nascar heads its a good idea to change the exhaust valves and guides as they're 7mm and would probably break with big valves springs

Mates torrie has 588hp aspirated on 100 ron fuel, 612 on c16 and 720 on gas it weighs in at 1200kg neat with driver and has ran a relaxed 9.9 pass with only 588hp it should run 9.6 like this

Get the thing light, strip the doors bonnet boot out and cut anything out of them thats not needed, replace glass with 3mm lexan, 1mm alloy door trims, rci plastic seats or carbon/kevlar (like mine), molly cage, just look at everything and see if you can make it lighter,

Rci seats are 4kg each without trim or rails and retail for about $80-$120 each

Aerospace Components do the lightest and best bang for buck ($150usd) front 4 spot calipers and are about 1kg each
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust