turbo carb?!

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
mistashitty

turbo carb?!

Post by mistashitty »

I`v just got the old girl running again, but it seems to spit fuel out of side of the carb. (ZS 175 CD) I suspect it is a fuel return but when I block it up it seems to stall the old girl out, I suspect if I hook up a fuel return line it would stall it out (as it has to flow uphill over the rocker).
How is the std. carb setup?
G O T H E D A T !
Sigmaproject

Re: turbo carb?!

Post by Sigmaproject »

Mate if it has been sitting around a while maybe your needle valve is stuck or needs adjustment. When this happens fuel will leak out everywhere and drip down onto the exhaust manifold. Get a good extinguisher and keep it close handy. ;) If everything is right the fuel should never get higher than the gasket on the float bowl. For fuel to be coming out it has to be way higher than that.

On SU's and bike carbs they have an overflow pipe for times when this happens. But not on the Stromberg :roll:
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

i have similar project, when decellerating from high revs my car stiks of fuel, and when idling my carby makes a short sharp hissing noise (psss) every ten or so seconds randomly and lets out fuel somewhere. no idea where it socmin from tho...
mistashitty

Post by mistashitty »

thanks for your ideas,
I have several other z/s 175`s and this the only one with a brass outlut pipe on the side (throttle/choke), there is also a vent hole on the front of the carb. which fuel also comes out of at low revs (400 rpm or so). I`ll lower the float level and see if that stops it.
It does not say stomberg anywhere on this carb. only zenith carb.co.

Could your sharp hissing noise be coming from one of the v-band clamps between the carb./turbo?

Is there any pics of the std. carb/turbo set-up, as every pic i seem to find has some sort of efi set-up fitted? or not close enough to see any details.

I dont think it is the needle valve as I had this carb running on my 280c with no probs.
G O T H E D A T !
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

The brass outlet on the throttle linkage side is a fuel overflow outlet. Mine overflowed once but that was only because the float collapsed. might pay to pull your v band clamp off and see if you o ring is perished if so replace or use some silastic (or something similar) or both.

here is a pic:

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/6285/engine2k.jpg

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The brass outlet is actually the float bowl vent for the Charcoal canister mounted on the firewall. It is to direct petrol vapour to the canister. I have mine connected with a rubber hose. The factory setup has a purge valve and a metal tube leading to the canister. If you have fuel coming out of here then you have a big problem :roll: Will be the needle valve worn or stuck open with crap / problem with the float or too much fuel pressure.

It is probably actually dangerous to have the float bowl vent with no pipe to the canister. Means that as fuel in the floatbowl evaporates ( as fuel does) it will be just hanging around the engine bay.

What I have seen with a lot of the CD's that I have pulled apart is that the rivets fall out of the float . Then your needle valve just stays open.

This happened to me one day and I had to get the wagon floated home. At idle and low revs the motor cannot consume the petrol quick enough, so it just runs out. Even came out back through the air filter :roll:
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

That is exactly what i was trying to explain, just the rivets came out and it was coming out air filter as well as that brass outlet. all fixed now.

Paddles
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I read on a Pomme website that the CD's have caused more under bonnet fires than all other makes of carby combined :shock:

When you have one gush out fuel you can soon see why. I would imagine that it would be a simple matter of fitting an overflow pipe to the float bowl. But you cant use the vent pipe as an overflow. The problem is way too serious by the time the fuel reaches the vent pipe.
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

I always have a fire extinguisher in the car cos you never know what is going to happen or what is around the next corner.

Paddles
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Well the day that mine played up I thought mine would catch fire.

Petrol was running down all over the exhaust, instanly evaporating and sending off explosive fumes. I felt helpless, just stood back and waited for the inevitable. Anyway I was lucky, it didnt happen. This was four or five years ago, and I still havent bought an extinguisher :roll:

Or fitted a ignition cut off :roll: