Webber 32/36 jetting

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
leoca

Webber 32/36 jetting

Post by leoca »

We picked up the carby (automatic choke) from a local swap meet on the weekend .
I profess to know ziltch on these and was wondering what size jets to use and how to change them?
About it ...the carb was on a Cain manifold and was on the previous owners 202 HZ holden.
Its going to on my father s LC using an adapter plate .We have sourced extractors (ta Stealth)...apart from that mod its totally stock .
Any help appreciated .Thanks guys :!:
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Webber 32/36 jetting

Post by 81GL »

What engine is it going onto ?

With the webers you should find that the solex jets will fit in (did for me on the 34adm anyway).

It wont be spot on, but it gives you a really good place to start at.

Changing them is pretty straight forward? take the top half off and look at the bottom of the bowl.

Good luck.
Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
stealth

Post by stealth »

its for a 1600 4g32 belt drive with extractors
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
leigh7005

Post by leigh7005 »

i would just chuck it on an see if its any good
81GL

Post by 81GL »

Well i'll state the obvious, and say that if it was from a 202 6 then there going to be out by a bit.

If it were me? I'd put the jets from stock carby in, buy a new set of spark plugs, go for a drive, pull the plugs out and go from there.

Might pay to get it running as is first though, sort out the other teething problems.

Good luck.
Nick.
Galantman

Post by Galantman »

81GL wrote:Well i'll state the obvious, and say that if it was from a 202 6 then there going to be out by a bit.

If it were me? I'd put the jets from stock carby in, buy a new set of spark plugs, go for a drive, pull the plugs out and go from there.

Might pay to get it running as is first though, sort out the other teething problems.

Good luck.
Nick.
your stating the exact reason people have so many issues with carby tuning.
the jets all work off pressure differential caused by the amount of air sucked through the venturi. it doesnt matter what the capacity of the motor is, its all about the speed the air travels past the venturi, and hence how much fuel is "sucked"( technically its forced out by atmospheric pressure in the float chamber through the jets to a low pressure point in the middle of the venturi).

a 32/36 would be too small( air flow wise) for a 202, and due to this it may be jetted lean, as when the air speed gets high, fuel flows easier than the air, so it naturally runs richer the more revs it has. if it hasnt been played with or adjusted it should be fine as is for the 1600 ( they were std fitment to 1600cc european cortina and capri), main jets should be in the 125 135 range, idle jets 45 or 50, air correctors( to stop the high air speed richness) varies between 125 and 170 ( small jet in the primary).

i have the haynes weber bible here if you want some exact jets, but if its in those ranges, you should be fine.
81GL

Post by 81GL »

Galantman wrote:your stating the exact reason people have so many issues with carby tuning.
the jets all work off pressure differential caused by the amount of air sucked through the venturi. it doesnt matter what the capacity of the motor is, its all about the speed the air travels past the venturi, and hence how much fuel is "sucked"( technically its forced out by atmospheric pressure in the float chamber through the jets to a low pressure point in the middle of the venturi).

a 32/36 would be too small( air flow wise) for a 202, and due to this it may be jetted lean, as when the air speed gets high, fuel flows easier than the air, so it naturally runs richer the more revs it has. if it hasnt been played with or adjusted it should be fine as is for the 1600 ( they were std fitment to 1600cc european cortina and capri), main jets should be in the 125 135 range, idle jets 45 or 50, air correctors( to stop the high air speed richness) varies between 125 and 170 ( small jet in the primary).

i have the haynes weber bible here if you want some exact jets, but if its in those ranges, you should be fine.
Makes sense :roll: So at the end of the day, its somewhat pointless information that the solex jets fit, as its more the ratio to the venturi (air velocity) rather than the common thinking of engine capacity...

Thanks for correcting that Melv.

Nick.

PS: If you feel like typing up any more carby info, I'm ALL EARS! (It's hard to find people who actually know what they are saying :roll: :oops: )
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

same i want to learn about the carbies :D
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
leoca

Post by leoca »

81GL wrote:
Galantman wrote:your stating the exact reason people have so many issues with carby tuning.

Makes sense :roll: So at the end of the day, its somewhat pointless information that the solex jets fit, as its more the ratio to the venturi (air velocity) rather than the common thinking of engine capacity...

Thanks for correcting that Melv.

Nick.

PS: If you feel like typing up any more carby info, I'm ALL EARS! (It's hard to find people who actually know what they are saying :roll: :oops: )
Thanks all!.
Yes i Guess half the prob. can be that the new buyer doesnt bother to check the jet sizes that are installed and just bolts it on and trys it out, so therefore to some degree know how it lost dont you agree?....probably takes the easy way out.
We may try the carby as is and do an economy/power study..Stock Falcon or leaner jets unknown at this point!?
To be continued and updated :)
Galantman

Post by Galantman »

curiosity got the better of me yesterday, i ripped the jets out of the saturn carby to check sizes, a 105 primary main jet, and a 190 ( GOD DAMN) secondary main jet. both jets are at the extreme ends of the scale if suitability for a 32/36 weber, but atleast they are an option
81GL

Post by 81GL »

Galantman wrote:and a 190 ( GOD DAMN) secondary main jet
:shock:

EDIT: Of coarse... if you've got a couple bucks laying around you could invest in something like below & have it dummy fitted at the end of the exhaust so you could use it as a tuning tool (you would need a sensor with an inbuilt heater to place at the rear of the exhaust though)

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... rm=KEYWORD
(above is just an example... do have myself)