Curly problem

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
86Wagon

Curly problem

Post by 86Wagon »

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a thorny issue. I have just got my hands on an 86 Sigma Wagon. It has a 4G54 2.6 Engine on LPG.

I have a spark plug that's had the thread snapped off while I was trying to thread in a new one. I tried to get the thread out using an easy-out but now the easy-out is stuck and won't budge in or out. (as an aside it's really hard to get a purchase on the easy-out with conventional tools as I can't find anything off the shelf to grab the square head of the easy-out.

I am currently removing the head so I can find a way to remove the broken thread. I have been told to get a heli-coil to retap the spark plug hole once the broken spark plug has been removed.

Two questions:
Do I need to remove the cam shaft from the head or leave it attached to the head. If I remove the camshaft, will it make it harder to bolt everything back together again.

Am I better off just sourcing a new re-conditioned head and throwing out the damaged one. (Am afraid that buggerizing around with the existing head will be too much hassle and also damage the head.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Zoran
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Curly problem

Post by Scorpma82 »

From memory, U dont have to take the camshaft out (but I'm running off an old, faded memory)

As far as replacing the head,it really comes down to the price of repairing the current head compared to replacing it...me personally, it repair the original head
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Superscan811

Re: Curly problem

Post by Superscan811 »

Cam can stay in, you just need to remove the cam gear from the cam and sit it on the steel rest that is under it.
If the only thing wrong with the head is the sparkplug thread, I'd jut get it fixed.

If there is anything else wrong, it might be worth getting a later Magna head(TR/TS), as they are a better design,
BUT
remember, the water port at the rear of the Magna heads are larger, and will require either a manifold mod, or finding a manifold off an early carby Magna.

LPG LOVES comp, so I'd also deck the head to help it perform a bit better, and you'll get better fuel economy to boot.

Cheers.