Curing the Astron's woeful timing(chain) waltz - with a belt

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
barana

Curing the Astron's woeful timing(chain) waltz - with a belt

Post by barana »

]Just wondering how the high horsepower fellas cure the astron
of its timing.....uncertainty, ya know try to time an astron that still has its dizzy and the best you can do is take an average for timing as it walks all over the place.Surely this would spell disaster on a boosted engine?
My thoughts are to use the timing belts and gear from a diesel (yeah might need to use a smaller timing belt in the absence of an injector pump)

Has anyone done this?

My assumption is it isn't the shafts causing the issue, otherwise the 4d56dohc /d4dh Hyundai astron diesel would have serious cam issues also.(and ultimately poor compression as a diesels timing is critical)
My theory is that they fixed the timing chain issues in the astron diesel , as they just changed the chain for a belt, and baffled the timing case.

Superscan811

Re: Curing the Astron's woeful timing(chain) waltz - with a

Post by Superscan811 »

Crank angle sensor is a must if you are serious about building a strong EFI astron.

Chain v belt, not so much.

Too much work involved in sealing up all the front of the engine to be a viable proposition.

"A" grade chain will last OVER 80,000 Kilometres with no issues.

Losses chain v belt is minimal, especially if you take into consideration the longevity of a chain v belt.

More gains can be made with higher comp, larger valves and a lighter pistons..

Cheers.
rx22nv

Re: Curing the Astron's woeful timing(chain) waltz - with a

Post by rx22nv »

I had run the chain and also the dizzy with a single bosch coil. More than 330hp and 30psi on that setup. I then changed to a little more compression, individual coils, still using the magna dizzy for cam and crank signals and it makes 390hp now.
You do need an adjustable cam gear though.
GD Galant Wagon 2.6 T04E powerglide - 10.51@124,
GD Galant Sedan Starion powered