96mm over bore

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
balemo

96mm over bore

Post by balemo »

Hi all Has anyone here put patrol pistons in their road car?
We do it in speedway car but wondering if anyone has tried in road car.

Regards Dale
balemo

Re: 96mm over bore

Post by balemo »

Should have mentioned its a 4G54 and i want it as a basically standard everyday driver. No balance shafts,34 Weber conversion from ReCarb, extractors, 2"system and Acell coil.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

The web between the cylinders would be VERY thin.
Bore centreline spacing 101.1mm.
96mm pistons.
This would equal 5.1mm between the cylinders, and almost a 2.9l

Not a good recipe for reliability, but would be more torquey.
balemo

Post by balemo »

Yeah it pulls awesome in the race car and had no issues in the bores or with heat (do run methanol though)
Im rebuilding an NG Pajero as full time drive car for business and pleasure and i want that bit more grunt. Hmm maybe back to the drawing board to find another solution.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

EFI conversion?
E85 tuning?
Turbocharging?

Avenues I'd look at before any "drastic"
Built with pride, Driven in anger
barana

Post by barana »

Hmm it still could be possie on a road car.... 96mm with the std bores would shed alot of heat into the coolant.. And very possibly cavitate on the outer bore surfaces... You could solve the heatshed (but not powerloss) by a waterless coolant, the aussie w.c. or evans.
Secondly, your rings would have a hard time holding decent compression and maybe even wear ring lands from thin bore flex. Ie the bore actually flexes as the rings pass over it heat and small loss of compression would be some indicators.
A mates mate solved this when he bored out a holden grey motor to a 2.6!!!! He installed steel liners. The rover/leyland 3.5/4.4 and 3.9/4.0/4.6 engines are siamesed like the astron and you can purchase tophat liners for them.It would be possible to machine out the bores and install tophat liners into an astron to get a 2.9.
Talking to a race engine builder about astron shaft removal he said 1/4 of engines hed deshafted got rougher. I left the shafts in my rebuild, but noticed while cyl 1&2 were well within spec 2&4 were borderline with heaps less meat on them. Vibration and or heat had eaten them away. A 2.6 with heavier pistons may exacerbate the problem especially considering the counterbalance shafts are now too light to act against heavier slugs..
i would like to see a 2.9 tho :)