Stock radiator any good?

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
82Scorp

Stock radiator any good?

Post by 82Scorp »

In the process of converting my 2.6 to efi turbs, looking to budget as much as i can with the build, my scorp has a new stock radiator already in it, will add a decent sized good brand electric thermo fan, but was wondering if it will be able to keep up? Car will get a decent thrashing, skids, drags, driftng etc. Cheers
Taz

Re: Stock radiator any good?

Post by Taz »

Ive got an old datsun 720 thick 3 core copper radiator in my LC and it wont be beaten. Alloy core vs copper core and copper will win every time its simply a better heat exchanger. Shame they moved away from copper to alloy today. Cheaper and easier but not better. If its a decent sized copper rad itll be just fine.
brendon

Post by brendon »

I have been using my stock radiator in my scorpion for quite a while. Stock radiator Electric fan no shroud (so not ideal)

Being in central Qld its get quite hot (air temp wise high 30 low 40s).

Last driftkhana day (motorkhana set up but bigger for learning to drift) was in 1st gear only for 2-2.5mins each run.
towards the end of the day it was getting really hot after each run (125-130 degrees) small number of competitors so not enough time to cool properly between runs and hotter ambient temp. I pulled the pin early missed 2 runs as it wouldn't drop enough before my go again (even pouring water over the radiator

In saying all that I've only ever had issues in low speed hi rev situations. no issues when there is air flow
Upgrading to 3 core alloy sr20 radiator with twin thermos
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
82Scorp

Post by 82Scorp »

Cheers for the replies, thinking s13 radiator is on the cards for me also