E85 turbo carb

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
82Scorp

E85 turbo carb

Post by 82Scorp »

I have a 79 gh scorpion, running a 2.6 (4g54) ive got most of the gear to turbo it using a factory turbo sigma draw through su carb. I wont be touching the bottom end and want to run around 10psi, however not being able to run an intercooler with draw through id issume is going to give me issues with intake temps which leads me to look into e85 for cooling purposes. Can anyone shead some light on going down this path, as i don't know much on the subject, cheers
rx22nv

Re: E85 turbo carb

Post by rx22nv »

Factory turbo Sigma's don't use an intercooler. These engines are not massively high in compression so it will be fine. Especially an Astron 1 motor. You should concentrate more on making sure it's tuned properly both timing and fuel mixture wise. I ran a 2.6 with twin carbs, t04 turbo on about 20psi and it was ok. It had water injection hooked up but I wouldn't want to go down that road as it's not an accurate way of doing things.

E85 is a pain. It is corrosive and will mess up everything if left to sit for periods of time. (blokes with injectors rusting shut after sitting for a month)
GD Galant Wagon 2.6 T04E powerglide - 10.51@124,
GD Galant Sedan Starion powered
82Scorp

Post by 82Scorp »

that's good to hear, i'm going to have it tuned professionally, i thought about water injection also but i wasn't too sure what to think about it and haven't gotten a second opinion.

e85 seems like more of a pain in the ass than its worth lol
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

I think the only way I would run e85 these days is if I had an ECU with the flex fuel sensor. Fill it up when you are racing it and then you can put normal fuel back in it afterwards and the computer sorts itself out. Haltech elite but they are expensive

Run 98 all the time, set the boost, mixtures and timing on a Dyno and you'll be fine.
GD Galant Wagon 2.6 T04E powerglide - 10.51@124,
GD Galant Sedan Starion powered
82Scorp

Post by 82Scorp »

sounds like the way to go, cheers for the reply mate