Researching 4g6* swap into 78 colt

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Tonyorlo

Researching 4g6* swap into 78 colt

Post by Tonyorlo »

I searched through this site and did not come across any threads on this swap, I apologize if I missed them. I am considering the idea of swapping a 4g63 or 64 into my 78 colt. There seems to be a lot of info on swapping them into d50s and other vehicles, but not too much on the lancer/colt. My car is a 78 colt 1.6 with a automatic trans, I have a 78 colt parts car with a manual transmission. I would like to find a complete car with a n/a 4g6* engine and drop it into my colt. I want to use the factory efi, I don’t want to build a race car. I would just like to have the convienence of efi, and I don’t really want to run a aftermarket stand alone system. It would be cool to have a DOHC engine under the hood of my car too.

The most important question I have, will any 4g6* engines bolt up to my 4spd trans? I would really like to retain the factory transmission so I’m not naming my head on the wall trying to mix and match parts.

Having the engine mounts bolt up would be a huge plus as well.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!
Tonyorlo

Re: Researching 4g6* swap into 78 colt

Post by Tonyorlo »

I just came across this thread, I dont know how correct the info is. They state that the 4g32 is a narrow block engine, which means that it would be the same as fwd manual transmission cars. Does anyone have anything to add to that?
Tonyorlo

Re: Researching 4g6* swap into 78 colt

Post by Tonyorlo »