4G52 fuel system

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
atomicali

4G52 fuel system

Post by atomicali »

Hi all, a while ago I swapped another vehicle for an L200 Express 4x4 tub tray ute.
Some details.
07/81 plated
Model L022G AWD
Body WD
Engine 4G52

This is basically a paddock basher/farm vehicle so I won't make you all want to kick me by posting a pic of it (it looks rough).

I have been fixing up the odd mechanical fault as time goes by (working brakes are wonderful :P ).
Currently due to very sporadic use the carby dries out and it takes ages for the mech pump to push fuel up to it.
The fuel lines also seem to drain back to the tank as well, making priming an even longer process.
Ok so I was going to fit an electric fuel pump in the engine bay bypassing the mechanical fuel pump, but the carby layout has me a bit confuzzled.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/ato ... 0216_1.jpg

In the photo the red arrowed fuel line is the one that puzzles me. The top of the pump says "to tank" but it appears to go to an accelerator pump or valve of some sort.
Is this right? The green arrowed hose does appear to go to the fuel tank as a return hose.
Even more confusing is when I took the top of the pump off the line seems to be blanked off in the top of the fuel chamber. IE it does nothing.
Odd.

Ok so I was going to bypass the mech pump totally with the electric fuel pump, but the "extra" hose on the mech pump is worrying me somewhat.
Any ideas on what to do with this "extra" hose with the electric pump? Or just use the electric to feed the mech pump? Forget about the electric pump and fit a check valve in the fuel line to prevent drain back and just put up with long cranking times after the vehicle has sat for a few weeks?
Electric pump is your bog standard 3 to 6 PSI canister type (12V of course).

Cheers.
Superscan811

Re: 4G52 fuel system

Post by Superscan811 »

That is correct. It goes to the acceleration pump then the return line to the tank. it should also allow any vapour to return to the tank rather than causing vapour lock.
atomicali

Re: 4G52 fuel system

Post by atomicali »

Thanks for the reply Superscan I did some more physical checking yesterday and manage to figure out what's what. However the accelerator pump line and fuel return seem redundant as the hose to the accelerator pump is definitely blocked in the fuel pump top.
Looks like possibly a manufacturing fault as it does not appear to have ever been clear. The blockage does not look like someone has jammed a bit of aluminium in the hole or welded it up.
That is unless some models had the accelerator pump and fuel return line disabled for some reason.

Either way I suppose irrelevant if I want to fit an electric pump.
I assume a straight Y or T piece going to the fuel bowl and accelerator pump would be useless as most or all the fuel may go straight back to the tank and not fill the carby's fuel bowl.
Could put the electric pump in line with the mech pump I suppose but not sure if this would cause other issues with too much fuel flow.