Weird oil smoke problem.

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Sigmaproject

Weird oil smoke problem.

Post by Sigmaproject »

This has me stumped. My Sigma has been running great and trouble free for years. The timing chain was getting a bit rattly so I fitted a new pump, chains and sprockets. Rattle gone.

Not long after ( I am putting this down to coincidence) I took the wagon out of the shed for the daily macca's run. Backed out into the street. Slight uphill for about 150 metres to a little roundabout. Changed back to second gear for the roundabout, a bit of go pedal on exit (as I have done for the past 10 years)...and a blue oil smoke screen followed me for about 200metres. Immediately swing around,drove back home and put it in the shed. Thinking the worst, I lifted the bonnet looking for obvious signs of trouble, but could not find any. Oil level was correct..the carby damper was still full, no oil leaking onto the exhaust anywhere. Thinking valve stem seals..oil control rings I ring my mechanic mate for advice and he says bring it around. So I backed it out again, drove to the roundabout again..and NOTHING. No smoke..where as 30 minutes before it layed down a smoke screen. And I drove it around all day without further drama's.

And so it has been for the past week..oil smoke at the roundabout first thing in the morning, and nothing for the rest of the day.

We have basicly ruled out rings and valve guide seals because when I take it to my favourite test hill I can hold it with compression all the way down (about 1.5klm) and there is no smoke when I get on the gas to go up the other side.
Sort of leaning towards a turbo carbon seal issue , but it is still weird that the problem only exits on initial startup in the morning, and it takes the vacuum created by going back to second at the roundabout to suck the offending oil into the intake cycle. Too much oil pressure ??

Open to online diagnostics :$
Superscan811

Re: Weird oil smoke problem.

Post by Superscan811 »

Best guess is the carbon seal.
Remove the pipe going to the inlet manifold.
If there is LIQUID oil pooling anywhere in the tube, it's the carbon seal.
Clean inside the pipe, take it for a run and then remove and wipe the pipe with a white cloth.
Again, if there is any oil, it's the seal.

Cheers.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

BTW: the only time the oil can be "SUCKED" into the turbo is under vacuum. All other times there is pressure on both sides of the turbo which may push air/fuel mix or exhaust fumes into the oil.
This wouldn't show as exhaust smoke, just the oil will become dirty very quickly and it could thin the oil if too much fuel gets pushed in.

Cheers.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Yes I have sort of resigned myself to the fact that it is the carbon seal. I will take the crossover off in the morning..only a 5 minute job. And I have noticed that the oil is very dirty, only changed it last week and already it looks black.
In the grand scheme of things putting a new carbon seal in the turbo is only a minor hassle, but it took me years to get a perfect seal at the v band clamp :(
Decrepit

Post by Decrepit »

Could it be a blocked pcv valve. I have a MK triton with a 4g64 that has a similar intermittent problem that my research indicates is most likely a gummed up pcv.
1974 GC Galant Hardtop (restoration project - Slow)
1975 GC Galant Hardtop VR4Turbo (pulled out and changed back to a G32B - soon to be a G62BT)
1979 LC Lancer Hatch (50% mine) - Orange & Black - G32B (Son's daily)
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

If only Randolf :(
I have taken the turbo inlet crossover off this morning and there is more oil in the inlet than there is in the sump. 8o|
Also heaps of shaft play in the turbine shaft but it has not made contact with the housing. I have some bits and pieces for the turbo laying about somewhere so I will patch it up and hopefull get another 10 years out of it. :thumpsup: