Prefered method for priming a new Astron oil pump.

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Sigmaproject

Prefered method for priming a new Astron oil pump.

Post by Sigmaproject »

I am open to suggestions. An old school mechanic friend recommends packing the pump with Vaseline.
I remember when I got the engine back from the machine shop when I had recoed..that I spent 20 minutes winding it over with a ring spanner on the crank bolt, while squirting oil through the oil pressure sender hole. That was a marathon.

The last one in captivity :P
C_Fernance

Re: Prefered method for priming a new Astron oil pump.

Post by C_Fernance »

I usually fill them up through the oil sender hole, then crank the motor with the plugs out until it gets oil pressure. Should only take a few seconds at most, if it doesn't get oil pressure in a few cranks I keep squirting oil down the sender hole till it does.

I don't see how the engine could even build enough oil pressure to make the light go out if you were turning it over by hand unless you super thick oil. You just couldn't turn it fast enough.
Sigmaproject

Re: Prefered method for priming a new Astron oil pump.

Post by Sigmaproject »

I was told to wind it in reverse. So you are actually filling the pickup with oil. Then cranked it over for a couple of seconds and had oil pressure.