HELP! -- 4G32 timing belt tension?

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
greenlancer

HELP! -- 4G32 timing belt tension?

Post by greenlancer »

Hi everybody -- I've just replaced the water pump on my belt drive 4G32, and I need to know how to re-tension the timing belt. The manual says just to let the tensioner spring provide the correct tension, but if the tensioner is loosened, there is no tension. How do I know how far to push the tensioner to the right (as you look from the front) before tightening the adjusting nut? Any help much appreciated!!!!
75 LA Lancer 2-door 4G32
greenlancer

Re: HELP! -- 4G32 timing belt tension?

Post by greenlancer »

OK -- found that the distance from back of the belt to the cover should be 6 mm. I assume that's when it's deflected by hand? ... with reasonable force?? When released, the belt is a bit slack using this measurement. Is that normal? I don't want to overtighten the belt, but I don't want it jumping teeth either.
75 LA Lancer 2-door 4G32
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

from personal experience, Gates had a belt that was too big (had too many teeth) being listed as the correct belt. how loose is the belt?
greenlancer

Post by greenlancer »

I haven't changed the belt, so I'm not worried about number of teeth. Today I readjusted the tension to match the dictated 6 mm distance, so at least it's not too tight. The deflection is close to 10 mm, but it's at the required 6 mm from the edge of the cover, which is according to the manual. Fingers crossed! Thanks for the help.
75 LA Lancer 2-door 4G32